Good riddance to bad baggage

Hmm, actually these bags found at random on Google image search are rather cute!

Well, I believe the time has come for me to purchase a bag. A MOM'S bag. (Or purse, as the case may be. What is the difference?) I have a little brown purse (very little) (I would say, the size of, a cantaloupe. Flattened into a square.) which has been through a lot (stolen from my car and then recovered in someone's trash can later) and served me well (if in a very utilitarian way). But it's bulging at the seams from all the things I put in there. Which are:
  • bandaids
  • 2 suckers from the bank, saved for kid-emergencies
  • 2 pkgs. smarties from the grocery store, ditto [I think that's the first time I've ever said 'ditto', so enjoy it]
  • a "feminine napkin," naturally [Let me digress to say that when I was little, I saw the signs for those in bathrooms, and I thought they referred to beautiful, frilly, delicate, feminine table napkins---and I collected pretty napkins at the time---so I was always turning the knobs hoping I'd get lucky and one would fall out.]
  • Library card
  • Debit card
  • Credit card
  • Community Center Access card
  • Blood donor card
  • "Fresh Values" card
  • 1 million other cards I never look at or use, such as my "KBYU Member card," "Borders Rewards" card, etc etc etc
  • Checkbook
  • Change
  • 3 Packages of "moist towelettes" (sounds worse than "feminine napkin"!)
  • 3 reusable grocery bags---by the way I LOVE these---I have 6 which I use for all my groceries and other shopping--they are here
  • receipts
  • coupons
  • business cards
  • directions to various places scribbled on scraps of paper

Much like your own bag, perhaps. Anyway, I need your help. I've never really had a BAG-bag. In fact, I feel like I'm the last person in the world to realize that one is supposed to have a bag, accessory-wise. We used to watch "What Not to Wear" a lot at our old house, and after a while I realized that all their outfits always had a coordinating bag. Cute! But I feel so clueless. Do any [normal] people really do that (buy several different bags to go with your outfits, I mean)? What do you do for carrying your money? (Not that I ever have actual money. Cards and checkbook, yes.) Do you have to have a separate wallet inside the bag for that? Is your bag also your diaper bag? (I don't think I would do that, since I often don't carry the diaper bag into the store with me.) What constitutes a cute bag? Are there "trends" in bag fashion? Am I potentially going to commit a bag faux-pas by carrying a white bag after labor day, or some such thing? What else do I need to know to enter the wonderful world of bags?

4 comments

  1. I love bags! I currently use a diaper bag as my purse and I have 2 to choose from: a brown one and a green one with a black strap. (I like to coordinate bags with my shoes). Here's what Stacey and Clinton have to say about bags in their book, the name of which isn't coming to me now: women need a black one, a brown one and a colored one. But since bags are a bit pricey, I only have a brown one and am working to build my collection. Kohl's and ShopKo tend to have nice bags. And yes, I do keep my cards, cash, checkbook and planner in one wallet--I got it at the Franklin Covey store. And I do a lot of switching between bags (diapers, wipes, lotion, chapstick, phone, toys, etc.) but it doesn't really bother me. I see it as a good chance to clean out said bags on a regular basis. And no, you can't really commit a bag faux pas. If you love it, it works. Wow, I really am a shameless know-it-all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm definitely not the authority when it comes to bags and purses. It took me quite a while to submit to having and carrying one.
    BUT I've had a few different ones in the last four years, so maybe I can help a little.
    The last good bag I could really fit stuff in I got at target. They have a pretty good selection, and they have some bigger bags. It finally fell apart because I probably overused it. But it was great, and I may go get another soon. I love the one I have now, but it's a little small. I can't really fit my video camera and my still camera in with all my other stuff (which consists of wallet, checkbook, random papers, gum and sand from the beach, yuck.)

    Does that help at all, or is it just more confusing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marilyn,
    First, I love your story about feminine napkins.
    Second, I really don't know how bags are supposed to coordinate with your outfits. I generally am drawn to bright/outrageous bags like bright orange fruit bags from Mexico, my handsewn with no pattern bags using fabric from Aunt Winnie's basement, or my favorite, a red Snow White bag from D.I. I have also considered many times that I ought to make the plunge into the adult world. And I came very close last year when I found a really sweet one at TJ Maxx, but alas I remembered I was poor and put it back on the rack. I do, however, often switch between my ugly purses. I just keep things like gum, candy, and chapstick in all my bags and then I just move my wallet and phone back and forth between the bags. And like Chelsea I find it easy to make my purse into a diaper bag when needed. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Looks like you don't need my advice. But, as usual, that won't stop ME from dishing it out!
    Tia just got the COOLEST and cutest bag and it's leather dyed the same color as your blue wall. She got it in Italy (pronounced It-lee), so just go there.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top