National Pie Day


Just a reminder to celebrate National Pie Day today. It's Friday night, what else do you have to do? :) Perhaps you could make this (also here)? Or this? Or one of these? Or Sam's favorite, this: (I don't have a picture now, but I'll make it soon and then post one)

Lemon Meringue Pie

Filling:

1 9" baked pie shell (if using crust recipe from here, just bake the crust alone at 450 for 8-10 min. first)

1/4 c. cornstarch
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. lemon juice
3 egg yolks
1 ½ c. water
1 tsp. grated lemon rind (optional)
1 T. margarine or butter
Meringue:
3 egg whites
6 T. sugar

Combine cornstarch, sugar and lemon juice in saucepan. Add beaten egg yolks. Add water. Bring mixture just to boiling over medium heat and simmer for 5 min, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add margarine and grated lemon rind, stir until thoroughly blended. Pour into baked pie shell. Then, in metal bowl with beaters, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar. Continue to beat on high speed to form stiff, glossy peaks. Spread meringue over lemon filling, carefully sealing entire edge of crust to prevent shrinking. Bake at 400 for about 5 min. or until meringue is golden.

Happy pie-ing! Let me know if you find any other good recipes!

2 comments

  1. Marilyn! I'm so glad you found my blog and now I've found you! Tell me the distinction between your two blogs. Maybe I haven't spent enough time with it but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.
    Anyway, your pies...all of them...look absolutely AMAZING. I didn't know you were such a pie guru. And evidently we inherited the same pie crust recipe from our mothers. I knew we were kindred spirits. It really is the best.
    Well, I'm glad I'll be able to keep an eye on you and your cute family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even with your great reminders we missed national pie day, which is really a shame since I LOVE pie. Will you remind me next year? I want to make all the different kinds. All at once. And eat them all right now.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top