Random thoughts

Sometimes the main obstacle to writing for me is that I don't have enough related ideas to string together and make a coherent point. Thus, I find it liberating occasionally to imitate one of my favorite writers and simply present some random thoughts:

Sebby glares (see above) when he is concentrating, or playing a role. (A store owner, for example.)
*Glare* "Would you yike to buy some of this spinach?"
"Yes, please."
*Glare* "Okay, that will be fwee dollars."


Do you ever have a really, really bad dream---so bad that no matter what kind of day you're waking up to, you're just relieved to be awake? I had that kind of dream the other night. Horrible. And why, even when you know it was a dream, does the horror of it stay with you for so long?

If you had told me before I got married, that often the way I'd know Sam was home from work was because I'd hear him in the garage belting out an aria from "Pagliacci" (complete with made-up Italian words), I would have been surprised. But it doesn't surprise me now. (Delight me? yes.)

Why do I have the feeling that a certain phrase I heard ad nauseum for the past eight years---"dissent is the highest form of patriotism"---will suddenly vanish from the public lexicon?

My dad is in the hospital getting various things worked on, and when I called to ask him how it was going, he said, "It's kind of hard to just sit around all day . . . but of course, that's the same thing I'd be doing at home anyway." I felt like I should politely disagree, but . . . honestly . . . that IS all he does at home anyway.

Isn't there some line in that song "New York New York" about how it's so good they named it twice? That's how I feel about Sam. So good I married him twice. How did I get so lucky?

Sometimes I inadvertantly mirror people's faces when they are talking to me. One time a mean-looking guide lady in London asked me, "What are you glaring about?" I wasn't meaning to, but it was because SHE was glaring!

Seb was walking around with his backpack full of monkeys saying, "I'm all ready!" I asked him, "Where are you going?" and he answered, "You never know where I'm going to go." Which, frankly, is quite true.

My parents had a Latin proverb up on their wall which they quoted to us all the time: "De gustibus non est disputandum." Meaning something like, "You can't argue about matters of taste." This scripture in Romans (14:3-5) reminds me of that proverb: "Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him that eateth not despise him that eateth: for God hath received him. . . . One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." To me, this means: Everyone feels like they are justified in what they're doing. So we shouldn't be so quick to say, "What an idiot---why would anyone do such a thing?!" We all generally do what, in our own minds, we feel is what we should do---or what we must do---at the time. (And yes, we are often wrong. But that doesn't make us crazy, or even stupid, necessarily. We are acting rationally on what we feel.)

People often ask when they see Abe and Seb, "Wow, do you cut their hair yourself?" Which I think is a nice way of saying, "Wow, those are obviously not professional haircuts." And they aren't! Oh, they aren't. I realize that if they at all cared what they looked like, I would no longer be able to get away with it.


My mom disapproves of me letting Seb brush his teeth unassisted. "I don't think they really do a good job until age 5 or 6, so I like to just help them with it." By not helping him, am I (as I like to think), fostering valuable independence and self-sufficiency---or am I just much lazier than she was?

Do you ever wonder if there will really, truly, ever be an end to wiping runny noses? That seems like merely a utopian dream to me.

6 comments

  1. I hate those bad dreams, but truly it always is a relief to wake up and realize everything is (hopefully) still ok. I've had a couple of dreams where I married somebody else and then meet Kris. That's a BAD dream for me, and I'm always happy to wake up to my real life!

    I was asked the other day if I cut Max and Kris's hair. I don't. There's no way I could. We pay somebody to do it. I'm a little worried now--should we switch hair cutter people? Not that it's a bad thing to cut boys' hair at home. I'd do it if I could, believe me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So last night I dreamed I was in Iraq and it was illegal to have children, so I had to put Lydia into hiding and they were trying to find her the whole time. It was horrible. *shiver*

    I don't ever help my kids brush their teeth, except for last night when I tried to brush Eleni's for her. I realized she always gets a huge blob of toothpaste, eats it, sucks the water out, then puts the brush away. But she threw a conniption when I tried to help her, so I don't think it's worth it yet. But I'm proud of your mom! Perhaps that's why you have such a lovely smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how much you let your boys do things for themselves. They are going to grow up to be awesome.

    I do have fond memories of my mother brushing my teeth and doing the voices for the moaning, dying Cavity Creeps as she brushed them into oblivion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your thoughts! Never feel that you must have only one topic per blog post. I like that Seb. It's good to be prepared for anything. Soph refuses my help when brushing her teeth, too, but she'll let her dad help. So I do the morning brush and Rob does the evening brush. And, so far, the dentist hasn't politely hinted that her teeth are rotting in their sockets. Also, your boys hair looks cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really? How do you not have a book deal?!?
    I laughed for days when I read your thought about how Sam is so good you married him twice! Ha ha ha ha! I love it.
    Wonderful! I remember you being chastised by that old lady in London. She was none too impressed with any of us giggly, perky mormon girls, was she? I kind of got to the point there were if I'd seen one 18th century manor, I'd seen them all.
    Anywho, that is what I call entertainment. You should have Tina Fey's job, and then I could be part of your entourage. Let's make it happen, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I must be an authoritarian, not authoritative parent if toothbrushing is the gauge. I always brush their teeth after they do it and I always get stuff out. I guess the day I don't find any more treasures will be the day I stop doing it. Kudos to you for initiating independence so industriously (or not). :-)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top