Longest Day Campfire

We always like to do something outside to celebrate the Longest Day of the year (also known as my brother Philip's birthday, the best of birthdays!) but this year, circumstances conspired against us—by which I mean that certain parties argued and fought with certain other parties until an executive decision had to be made, dispensing early bedtimes all around. Goodness! That was sad. But, a few days later we had another free evening and a more cheerful household, so we headed up the canyon for a campfire! It seemed like high time. The last time we had a campfire, it was on our Eclipse Trip and baby Ziggy wasn't even born yet! 
It had been so hot the few days before this, and it was STILL hot even in the canyon, but there was a breeze and the sun was low, so it was pleasant to sit and watch the men make the fire. I'm so glad I never have to make the fires! I learned how at Girls' Camp, of course, but I would so much rather someone else do the chopping and the wood-laying and the fiddling with kindling and matches. Luckily, the boys always seem to love that part, so everyone's happy.
Triumphant sword-holding pose, with hot-dog-roasting stick

I just want to point out his dimple.
Ziggy had periods of great sadness and woe (and this was even after he'd eaten dinner!)…
but he found comfort in his fingers,
and in being held by people. He almost always IS being held by people.
Soon he was ready to be QUITE charming. And to show off his two TEETH (oh horrors!)

Also, he has cute toes. And cute little squishy legs.
After we ate dinner, we sat around and watched the trees move in the wind, and listened to the crickets, and were so peaceful and happy (or bored, as some people might have called it…but I'm a fan of that sort of boredom).
We went on little walks and explored, as we like to do. I love this side of the mountain!
The playground is gone now (sad!) but there were plenty of trails to follow, and sticks to find.
And of course, cliffs to climb! I heard triumphant shouting and looked up to see Seb and Malachi halfway up the mountain.
I watched the evening sunlight shine on the river.
(Seems like I always take this photo, because I love it so.)
At last the fire was low enough for us to roast marshmallows!
Abe, as I believe I've mentioned, appears to be congenitally incapable of obeying the command "Don't look at the camera! I'm just taking pictures of people doing things!" He takes great pride in his "sixth sense" that allows him to detect a picture being taken and immediately paste on a false grin.
Hah! Got him. Glowing in the firelight, even.
Junie got braces a few days before this, and they make her face look so different to me! More grown-up, or something. Darling girl.
Teddy was quite enraptured with all the goings-on at the fire.
Perhaps he was admiring this perfect marshmallow Sebby roasted?
It was so good, I even let Sebastian give it to me! I only eat the most perfect marshmallows, as I'm sure I've told you, and usually that means only Sam has the privilege of roasting them for me. (Do I ever roast my own marshmallows? I do not. They would not meet my standards.) But I made an exception for this masterpiece! I believe Sebastian felt quite honored. As he should.
The less-than-perfectly-roasted marshmallows, of course, have plenty of takers as well, so don't feel sorry for them!
Eventually a reckoning must be paid for all those s'mores.
And the sun—even on the [practically] Longest Day of the year—must set sometime! It turned the tops of the mountains gold on its way down.
We packed everything up, with the help of many helpers.
And headed home—"tired but sleepy," as I used to say. And happy, too!

3 comments

  1. What a wonderful adventure; thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that Ziggy’s eyes!!! They are amazing.

    And what a lovely evening. (And I greatly prefer your Abe’s ridiculous smiles to my Abe’s sudden scowl whenever he catches the camera pointed at him!)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top