Camping

We went camping up in the Uintas for Sebby's birthday this weekend, and we had so much fun.  We were afraid we wouldn't be able to find a campsite, but we did, and it was just perfect, and everyone had such a good time!  Well, I exclude all the campers in sites around us, of course, who had to listen to Daisy screaming until 3 a.m. (not that she stopped then, but I put her in the car at that point) and then to me accidentally setting off the car alarm and not being able to figure out, in my zombie-like state, how to turn it off.  Sorry, guys!  But other than that---it was idyllic.  I saw 37 meteors.  We ate like kings.  And we finally got Daisy to go to sleep in the trunk.  You know the little sunken-in place in the back of a minivan?  It's just about the size of a bassinet.  Once she was out of the tent and in her own little nest there, she was either too exhausted to cry anymore, or as happy as could be.  (Don't worry, I slept in the car with her too.)
The campsites were really spread out and there was lots of space around, so we actually felt like we were all alone out there.  [Although I can't say the same for those around us---see above].  It was quiet and set away from the road and there was a little stream and pond right by our tents that sounded like rain while we slept.  (Or tried to sleep.)  Just lovely.

Malachi was cute because he was finally big enough to do more than stay right next to us and try to fall into the fire.  He actually went hiking around, exploring and making his own little homes among the grasses and trees.  You could tell he felt really important about it.  I heard him pretending to be many, many things, including but not limited to: a toll booth man, a garbage truck, someone putting someone else in jail (policeman? prison guard?), a cake-baker, and a rocket ship.
I really don't know what is going on here

Daisy quite enjoyed interacting with the local flora and fauna.  I'm sure there were many foreign substances she did not ingest.  I'm also glad they make some little girls' clothes in brown these days.
My favorite part, though, was just watching the boys go off exploring together.  They'd say, "We're going on an adventure now!" and off they'd go, hand in hand.  Abe was so responsible and adult about it all.  "Don't worry, I'll keep track of the boys, Mommy."  He was the captain of everything (submarines and missiles played a prominent role at the pond) and so eager to help with pitching the tent, building the fire, and all the other manly duties.  And Sebby---he kept reminding me how big he was.  Every other sentence started with, "Now that  I'm five . . . "  The three of them were excited about every tree, leaf, and bug in the vicinity.  When they start recounting their adventures, no one on earth can get a word in edgewise.  I'll leave you with a picture of them, those three intrepid explorers:

1 comment

  1. That picture of the three explorers is priceless. So is the idea of letting a kid sleep in the trunk so they'll finally BE QUIET. (Been there, done that.)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top