One day in Jerusalem

The owner of the company that invited Sam to Tel Aviv organized a day trip to Jerusalem for the group, which consisted of Sam and Abe and the other presenter, as well as his wife and mom who had accompanied him. They were really excited about getting to see a place that they had heard of and imagined all their lives!

Before they left, they talked to a few people who had been there before, and got all kinds of recommendations about what to see and do in Jerusalem, but they weren't sure they would even be able to get there from Tel Aviv at all! So it was awesome that their hosts had it all planned out. But there were a few disappointments about it, too. Since they were with a group, they couldn't simply worry about their own interests, or be on their own timetable. And they didn't get to see a lot of the specific places that would have been meaningful to them, like the Orson Hyde Memorial Garden or the BYU Jerusalem Center or the Garden Tomb. Sam said it was also a little difficult to be with a guide who was obviously not religious, among a group of people that were also not extremely religious. Although they got to see some wonderful sites, Sam said it was hard to capture a feeling of sacredness or awe at those sites when the others seemed to feel mostly idle curiosity. 

However, with all that said, they LOVED being in Jerusalem and experiencing the Old City, seeing the many types of people, and experiencing the very different atmosphere and character of this complicated, ancient place.
Sam and Abraham both said that one of the most amazing things they did was standing on top of the Mount of Olives, overlooking Jerusalem with the old city wall, the gleaming gold Dome of the Rock, and the olive orchards spreading out beneath them. They said it felt surreal to be standing in the same spot where Jesus stood when he lamented over Jerusalem and the wayward House of Israel. The city looks so beautiful laid out against those hills and Mediterranean skies!
One of those churches down at the bottom of the hill is thought to be on the site of the actual Garden of Gethsemane. I love that there is still an olive orchard (garden? grove? what do you call them?) around it. But I wish everyone hadn't come and built churches over everything! It seems so disappointing that you go to visit Golgotha and instead of a hill like you imagine, it's just a church with rocks in it! Oh, I know, I know. If they hadn't built churches then maybe the sites themselves would have been ruined or forgotten by now. But it still seems sad (and especially when the different churches argue about the different sites and the relics and traditions anyway!).
Those rectangles clustered at the bottom of the picture are gravestones in a Jewish cemetery. They remind me a lot of the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin!
There are some parts of the city visitors can't go into now, for security or whatever other reasons. But they did get to go down to the Western Wall, which is all that's left of Herod's temple (the Dome of the Rock is built on the spot that temple used to stand). I've seen so many pictures of this place! And now I've…seen more pictures of it. But Sam and Abe have really been there! So cool.

I have to include this picture because it's just…so great! Ha ha ha
They went inside the Church of the Holy Sepulcher where you can see the supposed site of Jesus' tomb. There were people leaning over to kiss the rock where Christ's blood dripped (and laying their credit cards on the rock too…for luck?!), and people wailing and chanting, and Coptic priests walking around with incense doing their religious rituals. It sounds like a very interesting place.
As with Tel Aviv, some of my favorite pictures to look at from Jerusalem were just snapshots of back streets or regular people; things that felt like they captured the flavor of what it was like to be there, walking around. I love all the various colors and textures packed into just one frame.
Along the Via Dolorosa (remember when Elder Holland talked about the Via Dolorosa?) there were little shops selling Fanta, baseball caps, and…crowns of thorns? I am puzzled by that. Are they just souvenirs? Do people wear them?
I love the faded colors of these carpets hanging in the sun.
One interesting thing Sam and Abe noticed in Israel was that people speaking Hebrew sound like they're arguing all the time. It's a harsh-sounding language, like German, and there's lots of gesticulating and intense facial expressions, so that Sam and Abe said they were never sure if there was a violent argument taking place or just a discussion about the weather. They said there seemed to be several minutes' worth of discussion surrounding the slightest interaction, like someone telling directions to the taxi driver or asking what kind of fish was on the menu.
I had it in my mind (maybe from seeing an IMAX movie about Jerusalem? Or from a book I read?) that there ought to be piles of colorful spices for sale everywhere. Every time Sam would tell me about a market they'd visited, I'd say eagerly, "Oh, yes, and were there bowls of seeds and spices?" I think he and I were both relieved when he showed this picture as proof that yes, indeed there WERE big piles of spices to buy! Thank goodness. :) I think it just seems so exotic and colorful and foreign to me. It seems right that such places exist.
I liked these funny, flat peaches, too.
And here's something I've never seen before. Olives growing on an olive tree!
What a cool and interesting city Jerusalem is! I hope I can see it in person someday, but I sure liked seeing and hearing about Sam and Abe's adventures there!

2 comments

  1. Oh I loved these pictures. One of the things I loved the very most about Jerusalem is just all that white stone everywhere! It did something interesting to colors and sunsets. (Which perhaps I loved looking at too much there? My contact prescription doubled in strength by the time I got home!)

    Anyway, this all makes me feel home-sickish.

    And also, that picture of your two boys in front of the Wailing Wall. Hahahah. Yes. The best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have noticed the different quality of the light in different places, and this seemed like it had its own character. I wish I could see it in person! I bet the sunsets are beautiful from the Jerusalem Center! (And I'm sure your contact prescription was just going up anyway! haha!)

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top