Upon the road to Zion

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Saturday Afternoon Session of the April 1986 Conference.
I've been thinking (and feeling hopeless about...ha ha) becoming a "Zion People" for a LONG TIME. (Ten years ago; really? Where does the time go?!) My thoughts usually run along the lines of "The church as a whole becoming truly of 'one heart and one mind' is SO out of reach, but maybe we can be of 'one heart and one mind' in tiny pockets…for short times."

That's still pretty much all I've got for answers. Even in one family…even in one marriage…there are so many differences to overcome! I know there must be a way; the Nephites and the City of Enoch did it somehow! But I can't fathom it. So I like the perspective in this quote from Elder Robert D. Hales:
The welfare plan builds a Zion People. … This promised Zion always seems to be a little beyond our reach. We need to understand that as much virtue can be gained in progressing toward Zion as in dwelling there. It is a process as well as a destination. …Many are perfected upon the road to Zion who will never see the city in mortality.
It's nice to think that attempting true Zion-like unity is worthwhile, anyway! Even if it still seems so very far away.


Other posts in this series:

Principles and Doctrines Cause Spiritual Change—by Jan Tolman

3 comments

  1. Well it will be quite easy actually. Eventually. When the fog lifts. And everyone realizes that they were confused and fall into line with how I view things! Ha!

    Oh man. That is the way I sort of feel it! And then I catch myself and think of the good people who view things in ways that seem tainted or off track and I realize that certainly I must ALSO have some perceptions based on incorrect notions or limited experience and it drives me mad! But maybe there is hope in even that in a way. I hate knowing that must be true and I want any false ideas rooted out of me! And, like you said, I have felt in bits and pieces times of complete unity with others who are different. When it seems we’ve all felt at once and understanding of one another and God’s purposes and felt connected through it all. And I love that quote. It’s one of those things that should be obvious and is really but that I forget and have to be reminded of in order to say, “Oh yah! I forgot! That’s how it works!” I love that we aren’t just waiting for this perfect arrival but in the process of it right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yes. Exactly how I feel! So many of my own opinions just seem obviously CORRECT! But you're right, every so often I do glimpse how unity CAN exist amid differences, though that seems so contradictory. God's ways aren't my ways. I have to keep reminding myself of that!

      Delete
  2. Ah yes. I thought if u went a few posts back I’d find where I first heard that quote. :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top