Santa Lucia Day

I'd been (of course) tired through the beginning of December, but I woke up on Dec 13th feeling good and energetic enough to make our usual saffron buns with the kids. We even cleaned up the house while they were rising, which was lovely! (Oh how I love a clean house…and it feels like I have one so rarely!)

My dear midwife was coming for a prenatal visit later that day, and when she came she raised her eyebrows at this surge of energy resulting in baking and cleaning. "See you pretty soon," she said, when she went home. And indeed, I went into labor that night. For a few hours, anyway…but that's another story.
Teddy was helping us make the Lussekatter for most of the time, and a good help he was, too. But Sebastian had whisked him away to do something in his room by the time I got the camera out for some pictures.

All the girls wanted to help serve, so each of them brought some buns (and verrrrry small amounts of cocoa…my confidence in their ability not to spill liquids while carrying a tray was not high) to a different one of the boys. I wish I could say that the boys were DEEPLY GRATEFUL for this act of service, but they were…as grateful as teenage boys generally are. Ha ha.
Rosie and Tulip wore their Lucia dresses, and had their own tiny buns.
These little Lucias are such lights in our lives!

BONUS: Lucias playing Blokus later that day :)

1 comment

  1. What a sweet tradition! And what a blessing to be given the energy to continue it. I hope to read your birth story soon. :) I'm a total sucker for birth stories.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top