Tools to cope

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Relief Society Session of the October 1998 Conference.
I think I remember parts of every one of Sheri Dew's talks in Conference, at least I do when I re-read them. They were always so good! I was struck by how similar some of her words were to the counsel President Nelson gave us just this October. Here's what Sister Dew said twenty years ago:
It’s not living the gospel that’s hard. It’s life that’s hard. It’s picking up the pieces when covenants have been compromised or values violated that’s hard. The gospel is the Good News that provides us the tools to cope with the mistakes, the heartaches, the disappointments we can expect to experience here.
And here's what President Nelson said in his most recent talk:
The truth is that it is much more exhausting to seek happiness where you can never find it! However, when you yoke yourself to Jesus Christ and do the spiritual work required to overcome the world, He, and He alone, does have the power to lift you above the pull of this world.

Now, how does overcoming the world bless our lives? The answer is clear: entering into a covenant relationship with God binds us to Him in a way that makes everything about life easier. Please do not misunderstand me: I did not say that making covenants makes life easy. In fact, expect opposition, because the adversary does not want you to discover the power of Jesus Christ. But yoking yourself with the Savior means you have access to His strength and redeeming power.
It's so true. I don't know how I would cope with all the hard things in life without a gospel perspective and the power of my covenants. Even just the hope in good things to come that the gospel gives! I'm so grateful for that hope.  


Other posts in this series:

No comments

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top