Joy through womanhood

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Priesthood Session of the April 2000 Conference.
I've been thinking recently about Satan's attempts to destroy the family and just how many different directions they come from. One thing I worry about for my daughters is how motherhood, even among church members, is often pushed aside as a minor or secondary goal, rather than a primary focus to aspire to and prepare for. I worry about how easy it is to absorb cultural attitudes toward childbearing and families, because I know that by orienting themselves toward worldly measures of success, my daughters would rob themselves of the contentment and happiness that could be theirs if they embraced their divine roles.

Some of these same worries are captured in this little parable I read recently: https://www.jrganymede.com/2023/01/06/the-child-of-destiny/

Richard G. Scott also talks about Satan's attacks on women in his conference talk:
Satan has unleashed a seductive campaign to undermine the sanctity of womanhood, to deceive the daughters of God and divert them from their divine destiny. He well knows women are the compassionate, self-sacrificing, loving power that binds together the human family. He would … rob them of their exalting roles as wives and mothers. He has convinced many of the lie that they are third-class citizens in the kingdom of God.
I like what Elder Scott then suggests as a counter to these lies:
…Let us encourage every woman who questions her value to turn to her Heavenly Father and His glorified Son for a supernal confirmation of her immense individual worth. I testify that as each woman seeks it in faith and obedience, the Savior will continually prompt her through the Holy Ghost. That guidance will lead her to fulfillment, peace, and a consuming joy through magnifying her divinely appointed, sacred womanhood.
I hope I can teach my daughters to do that!


Other posts in this series:

2 comments

  1. That was a great talk! I wonder if the church inadvertently promotes seeking education and career more than motherhood through the constant recognition of the worldly achievements of the prominent women. Also it seems to me that photos of families rarely show more than a few children. Where are the photos of large families? Where is the recognition and promotion of the sisters who choose to stay-at-home, educate their own children (rather than sending them off to satan's indoctrination centers), and contribute so much time and effort to keep the programs of the church running smoothly? Too often I feel like a second-class citizen in the Kingdom because my chosen career was motherhood and homemaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that parable! šŸ˜©šŸ˜©šŸ˜© I don’t think I’ve done as good of a job as you have at actually TEACHING this to your girls! I hope, by example, the older ones are absorbing some of it! And this is a good reminder to me to be more aware of opportunities to speak of this role to my younger kids!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top