Only faith

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Sunday Morning Session of the October 2004 Conference.
When the challenges of mortality come, and they come for all of us, it may seem hard to have faith and hard to believe. At these times only faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His Atonement can bring us peace, hope, and understanding. Only faith that He suffered for our sakes will give us the strength to endure to the end.
I just think it's interesting that when we find it hard to have faith, that's when we most need faith. At first glance that seems a little unfair (why would Heavenly Father make it even harder for us to have more faith by giving us challenges in which he seems not to be responding to our current faith?)—but that view has things reversed, I think. (And it doesn't take into account the role of Satan, either.) Maybe it's when Heavenly Father is most pleased with our current efforts that he gives us the next opportunity to grow in faith—because he sees our desires for good, and he knows how much stronger and more capable we will become with Jesus Christ's help as we stretch our faith in each next challenge. 

1 comment

  1. We can liken building faith to physical training. We don't get stronger by doing the same thing over and over. We have to push ourselves to go faster, farther, lift heavier, jump higher, etc. It's hard work and there is pain involved but our strength and endurance improve.
    About six months before our son took his life I was prompted to ramp up my scripture study. It took a few months before I was consistent but I did it, and am so thankful I did. Having consistently read the scriptures and general conference talks increased my spiritual strength to be able to endure the pain that was coming. My testimony, and ability to feel the spirit was such that I didn't fall apart and could be strong for the rest of my family. It's been almost a year now and I'm still consistent in my study because without my faith and testimony I'd be a lost soul.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top