Costumes and Pumpkins

Halloween was weird this year. Abe and Seb are too old for trick-or-treating now, and Malachi went with some friends to the Cedar City Temple Open House, so it was just the girls and Teddy dressing up. The older boys took care of answering the door and giving out candy (and we have ZILLIONS of trick-or-treaters here…this neighborhood seems to be a sort of Halloween "destination" for some reason. Cars were lined up driving into the neighborhood and parking all along both sides of the streets. Crazy. I buy the huge Costco bags of candy and still always run out before the night is over), and Sam took the little ones out for a short little trick-or-treating time before I got home from taking Seb to choir, so I didn't really do…anything… Halloweenish! Which was fine.

We were out of town during the middle of October, and we didn't want to buy pumpkins before we left, so the kids and I went out to a local pumpkin patch just the day before Halloween. We zipped in and out of there in the shortest time we could, but there was still time for some pictures.
Everyone but Abe—who was loading our pumpkins in the car for us

Abe carried my purse for me too. What a guy!
This is the pumpkin Teddy took home. I love it so much!
We did finally get the pumpkins carved (I say "we" but I really mean the kids and Sam—this is one duty I am loathe to perform) on Halloween morning, and they looked cute. Some of them are actually squash(es?), I suppose.
As for costumes…well, I never really do any work on those either. The kids choose from the costume box, which is full of cute little furry animal suits my mom has made over the years, both for me when I was little, and for my kids later on. Teddy wanted to be a bunny (and the bunny suit is far too big for him, but we rolled the arms and legs up)—but he insisted on wearing his crocheted green bunny hat rather than the white bunny hat that goes with the suit. Later we talked him into the better-fitting panda bear suit.
Marigold wore Daisy's old penguin costume most of the day.
Then she had a brief stint in Junie's old pig costume.
Her beautiful eyes!
Junie wore one of my old costumes.
And so did Daisy. When I wore this (3rd grade, I think), I had chicken pox, so I told everyone I was "the witch with chicken pox."
The witch loved her baby penguin! As she has always loved her babies in other years.
I love seeing costumed children playing together in the yard!
And Teddy was the sweetest baby panda. How I love the panda suits! We only had the baby panda this year. I can hardly imagine that Ziggy will probably wear this someday!

4 comments

  1. I love all the pictures of your kids and pumpkins, but that picture of you and Zigs is so beautiful. He's already getting too big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's crazy you get so many trick-or-treaters! We live in a fairly crowded area of homes (though, admittedly, we are a cul-de-sac off the main road heading into more connected neighborhoods, but we get a fairly small amount. Goldie was so excited to pass out candy this year that she even insisted on making tiny ghosts, etc out of suckers. I still bought a huge bag of candy -- to be safe, but she hardly got to give out many of her specially crafted treasures at all.

    And the pumpkin carving! Somehow Mike always always has insanely busy things at work at this time of year I guess because I have no recollection of him being with us to take over pumpkin duty! This year at least the majority of carvers actually got their own pumpkins cleaned out and carved with no help. And Abe and Daisy each helped a younger kid. But the clean-up is preposterous. I do love love them glowing on the front porch on Halloween night though (especially since I can give Abe the duty of lighting them all).

    And costumes! It would be grand I suppose to have everyone in something unique and new -- or even a family all costumed out in one theme! But we also just send everyone to scrounge what they can out of "the box" -- or occasionally to their grandma's basement. I don't think we will ever have a year without the frog and monkey costume making an appearance.

    Lastly, Mette and Summer both agreed with Teddy that the best pumpkin was a very small pumpkin that you could carry about lovingly in one hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sweet Goldie and her cute ghosts! I wish I could have sent my kids over to get some. Someone in our ward made Harry Potter wands to give out to trick-or-treaters, I heard?! These people that want to hand-craft treats for the masses must have a special kind of goodness. :) I'm always just so relieved when the candy's gone and we can turn out our lights!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top