Santa Lucia Day

Here's a philosophical question: If Santa Lucia Day didn't include saffron buns, would I be so keen on celebrating it? I think I might…because I do so love the girls in white dresses with [red] satin sashes…but the buns certainly do help! Even though I'm always so TIRED in December, and the thought of waking up early seems terribly daunting…but once we're up, and the cocoa is on the stove, and the girls (and whoever!) are helping me roll out snakes of dough, I feel it's all worth it. And the smell of saffron in warm milk, and the chilly blue light coming through the windows, all combine to say "almost Christmas!" to me now. We will see if I still think so once all the kids are grown and gone!

(Past Santa Lucia Day pictures are here. And saffron bun recipe here.)
I love these two pictures so much. Teddy's chubby little cheeks squinching up as he pushes down SO HARD to flatten the dough!

This blasted gold Lucia crown. It is precarious and prickly and hard to wear. But Daisy always wants to try! The candles fall out at the slightest tilt of the head, so needless to say we don't ever light them. I also got a soft cloth Lucia crown this year and it works much better! Though the candle crown is beautiful…
This homemade one has served us well, too.
Even Rosie has a crown!
The girls have so much fun serving the boys. And the boys of course take advantage of it and say loftily, "Servant! Fetch me another roll!" all day…but somehow everyone still likes it.
And here are Teddy and I ready for church in our "matching" rainbow sweaters, just for fun.

4 comments

  1. Such a lovely tradition . . . and I'm not even remotely tempted to follow your example! I'm just appreciating from afar! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. Yep. It's good that we can pick and choose the traditions that work best for our families! :)

      Delete
  2. Well there is something very lovely about the whole business, and I like seeing you celebrate it each year, and I like things that feel like, "Here is magic reminding us of even more magic (Christmas) soon". I almost feel like the boys birthdays do that a bit. Though the magic is slightly lost by my resenting that the fates (or my own poor planning) have stuck me figuring out two extra sets of gifts in Dec. Hahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Well, in your defense, who really PLANS things like when birthdays will fall?? Or maybe some people do? I do have a brother- and sister-in-law who wanted their baby born on Cinco de Mayo, so she got induced that day. I guess that's planning ahead? :)

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top