Random Conference Thoughts

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week we take a break from older sessions to cover the just-finished October 2018 Conference.
I haven't read any other reactions to last week's General Conference, so I don't know if what I felt was what everyone else felt too. I am still processing, and don't feel like I can really summarize or organize my impressions yet, nor am I ready to talk about them. So, in no particular order, here are just some random observations that came to me as I watched the October 2018 General Conference:

• President Nelson is a powerful, powerful speaker. I can feel his energy every time he speaks. Sam said President Nelson's talk about the name of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reminded him of Mormon's discourse on infant baptism. Fiery, reasoned, and bold!

• There was a lot said about making our homes into sanctuaries of peace and love and learning. Obviously I would love to do this, and I am always trying. And I know I can have a strong influence. But I wish I had more influence! As my children get older, they do so much to set the tone in our home—and I can't control whether they do it for good or ill! Each family member can make such a difference. I wish I could get them ALL to feel the desire I feel to keep it a place of peace and kindness.

• In that vein, though, President Eyring promised we could have the Spirit "at any family gathering, if you pray and plan for it." I would like to believe it (though I don't know if I can…see above…). But, did he mean even Family Home Evening?!? 😁

• Elder Oaks is so…forthright! I like him. Always have. And he is FUNNY, when he wants to be. He came to our stake conference once and we were laughing our heads off during the Saturday night session!

• Elder Ballard's talk was probably my favorite he's ever given. I loved hearing the background story on Joseph F. Smith's vision of the Spirit World. The quotes from JFS's journal and letters were so raw and emotional! And though Elder Ballard remained straight-faced and composed as he always is, I could detect the strong emotion behind his words, too, in a way I haven't in the past. I came out of that talk seeing and loving both men (Joseph F. Smith and Elder Ballard) in a new way.

• Two people that I remember (Elder Soares and Sister Franco) mentioned how we need to make sure we are greeting and befriending and ministering to other people at church—"regardless of other concerns or assignments." I need to do better at this. After sacrament meeting I am always SO focused on just doing the next thing: gathering up the toys, throwing out the zillion tiny paper airplanes Malachi has made, helping Junie remember her scripture case, making sure the kids take their tithing up to the bishop, taking Teddy to the bathroom, checking Ziggy's diaper, quizzing Marigold on her scripture for Primary, taking bags out to the car, etc. I feel like I have NOT ONE PARTICLE of energy to spare for looking for new faces, I'm so intent on these tasks. But that's silly. The bags can wait for a second. As can all the rest of it. And I'm missing the whole point of church (or, one of the main points) if I ignore all these neighbors and (potential) friends!

• Elder Bednar's rope animations must have really spoken to my kids. A bunch of them said his was their favorite talk.

• I liked it when Elder Andersen said, "Return to the Lord's house with your wounded heart and your family names as often as possible." Family names? Check! Wounded heart? Check! Ha ha.

• My favorite talk was Elder Rasband's, on Fear. It spoke to many of my questions and feelings.

• The whole First Presidency spoke at the Women's Session! Yaaaay!

• I don't really love dogs, but I loved the dog in Elder Stevenson's story. A faithful, noble dog! Like poor Hashiko.

• This phrase from Elder Renlund: "God gives us the dignity of choosing." I'm pondering how this can help my parenting.

• I loved the story Dean M. Davies told of President Hinckley and the Vancouver Temple, and President Hinckley's cheerful response after they told him he couldn't have chosen a more difficult site to acquire: "Well, do your best!" Ha ha. President Hinckley and President Nelson are cut from the same cloth.

• My conference notebook is just a composition book with tabs for each apostle, plus a tab for each auxiliary and the Presiding Bishopric, and then a tab for "Other Speakers." Here is the page I just finished in "Other Speakers":
…and I can't honestly say that poor Jack N. Gerard didn't get short shrift. Anyway, the pages in the other tabs aren't full yet, so NOW what do I do? Try to tape in some more pages in the back? Not take notes on any of the seventies next conference?

Other posts in this series:

2 comments

  1. I love how bold and forthright Oaks is too! There is certainly value in the gentle approach, but it’s kind of refreshing to have someone just spell things out so clearly. He does that a lot. And I like it. Of course I think I’m also favorably disposed towards him already as he reminds me slightly of my dad. And also of Jean-Luc Picard. Haha!

    And the Hinckley temple story was so fun to hear!

    Also, marrying Mike was good for me as, before that, somehow it never occurred to me that I had the responsibility to greet anyone at church, etc. But then he justcalways noticed and did that, and I started to realize I should be. But! As you said, i get so sidetracked with getting kids to nursery, etc. that I forget to look around!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top