No pain is wasted

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Sunday Afternoon Session of the April 1987 Conference.


My favorite quote this week was Elder Adney Y. Komatsu, quoting Orson F. Whitney. I always like it when someone refers to Father and Mother in Heaven, and I also loved the idea that NO PAIN will be wasted—not even the dumbest, most avoidable pain that we totally brought upon ourselves—not even the ugliest, most exhausting pain that seems like it can't ever have anything to do with goodness—not even the hardest, saddest pain that we feel powerless to stop in the lives of those we love. ALL of it will be for our good in the end:
“No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude and humility. All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable, more worthy to be called the children of God … and it is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire and which will make us more like our Father and Mother in heaven."

Other posts in this series:

We are expected to choose—by Jan Tolman

4 comments

  1. It’s so interesting to me, with this bar pool of ... I full of, I truly know, just church STUFF to be studying, how often things seem to show up in multiple places when I am thinking about them! I know you know this (like the business with the brother of Jared and the stones). But just this morning I was re-reading Rasband’s Divine Design talk and when I read this part: “ No trial or calamity can derail God’s plan of happiness”, I made a little link to two quotes that came to mind from a Howard W Hunter talk.

    One was this:

    “If you have troubles at home with children who stray, if you suffer financial reverses and emotional strain that threaten your homes and your happiness, if you must face the loss of life or health, may peace be unto your soul. We will not be tempted beyond our ability to withstand. Our detours and disappointments are the straight and narrow path to Him.”

    And the other was this very Orson F Whitney quote that you put here! (Hunter had quoted it in his talk as well.)

    Anyway, that seems to happen a lot. And I always perk up whee we n repetition occurs ... but in this case I hope the Lord isn’t actually preparing ME for anything! Ha! Hopefully just the more general small things not wasted that you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good heavens. Why won’t I ever read my comments to make sure they haven’t autocorrected to utter nonsense?

      That first line was “... with this large pool of ... I don’t know, ...”

      And whee we n?? I don’t even know.

      Delete
    2. HAhahaha. You seem to have a specially active and industrious autocorrect, one that thinks no word should be left uncorrected. What's funny to me is how often my eye/brain just makes sense of it and I don't even notice. I didn't see "whee we n" until you pointed it out! My autocorrect has added some of its own wrongs words to my dictionary and actually corrects things TO them now--I can't remember exactly, but one of them is something like "the nn BJ" and it's SO ANNOYING!

      Ahem. But, to your point--it is so interesting how these themes follow us around. I like that first quote a lot too ("may peace be unto your soul"....wow!). But also, like you, I can't help hoping that these things are ONLY supposed to be fortifying me against the usual bumps and strains of life--not sending me some terrifying message about my future!

      Delete
  2. This made me laugh so hard.

    “... active and industrious autocorrect, one that thinks no word should be left uncorrected.“

    Hahah. I think it is true!

    My phone often corrects and to abs. Abs? I don’t think I have typed anything about anyone’s abs ever. Except when my phone is forcing me to.

    And in that above paragraph, don’t turned to funny and about to Scott! Why?????

    No word uncorrected. That’s why.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top