Messages divinely placed

 This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Women's Session of the October 1989 Conference.
I really liked Sister Joanne B. Doxey's encouragement about studying the scriptures. She starts out quoting President Benson:

“I stress again the deep need each woman has to study the scriptures. …  

“As you become more and more familiar with the truths of the scriptures, you will be more and more effective. … After all, who has any greater need to ‘treasure up’ the truths of the gospel (on which they may call in their moments of need) than do women and mothers who do so much nurturing and teaching.” 

Then Sister Doxey continues:

If we treat the scriptures lightly, letting them gather dust on the shelves, unopened and unread, they are unable to bless our lives as planned. We will be denied the sweet whisperings of the Spirit in guiding our lives and the lives of our families unless we pay the price of studying, pondering, and praying about the scriptures. 
If we immerse ourselves daily in the scriptures, particularly the Book of Mormon, we will have increased discernment. We will have power to do good and to resist evil, and our ability to solve problems will be expanded. Messages to help us in our day were foreseen by the Lord and were divinely placed on the pages of the scriptures to assist us and our families.

I like that description of messages being placed in the scriptures just for us, almost like clues in a treasure hunt or Hansel and Gretel's breadcrumbs. (Or Elder Andersen's luminous stones!) I've encountered that kind of message when reading and it does feel like coming upon a treasure placed there just for me. I still read those verses years later and feel a little shock of familiarity or warmth, remembering. But I can't manufacture that feeling in myself. Sometimes I WANT to have a certain scripture strike me in a personal or prophetic way and I just can't get it to! So I am learning to pay careful attention when it does happen.


The important point, I guess, is that because the frequency of the messages varies and their timing can't really be predicted, I need to be studying frequently and consistently and earnestly enough that there is ample opportunity (with some room for error built in in case it takes me awhile) for me to receive those messages the Lord wants and needs me to receive!


Other posts in this series:

Children of the Light, Please Come Home—by Nathaniel Givens


No comments

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top