School starts for the big and the small

What is it about kindergartners that is just so HAPPY? They love life. They love school. They love everything! It's so fun to teach them. I'd say I can't believe Teddy is in kindergarten already—and for sure, I can't believe it's been five years since he was born—but the truth is, he is so ready for school, ready for reading, reading for learning. I'm just delighted to have him officially in our school!

New bunny backpack!

Teddy has already requested that we have units about: Space (again), Mars Rovers, Garbage Trucks, Galaxies (distinct from Space, apparently), Bunnies, Penguins, Elephants, Electricity, Lightning, Volcanoes, Shakespeare, Ice, and UPS Deliveries. It will be a joy to accommodate his requests. :) I love him so much!

Other kindergartners through the years: Abe, Seb, Ky, Daisy, Junie, and (belatedly) Goldie.

Along with Teddy starting kindergarten, Abraham started college this year! This picture isn't technically from his first day of school—he attended Spring semester as well—but it feels more like a "first day" in Fall than in Spring somehow! Abe decided not to take classes on campus during this strange time, so his are all online this semester, which was a bit of a disappointment for him. But he's taking it in stride and will hopefully get more of a campus experience next semester! I haven't taken any First Day of School pictures of him since he was this tiny…
…so he could hardly begrudge me this one! Here are the two school-beginners together. Little Teddy reminds me SO much of little Abey. How I love them both!
Speaking of new beginnings, Seb also had HIS first day at Herriman High last week. (I was not foolish enough to request a first-day picture of HIM…but he likes it when I take race pictures, so these will have to suffice.) I always thought my kids would stop homeschooling once they got to high school, and was quite surprised when Abe chose not to go that route! But Seb is totally ready and excited for the new experiences public high school will bring him. He's been running cross-country with the Herriman team since Summer 2019, so he has lots of friends already. He's worked so hard and spent SO many hard-fought miles and SO much time with them that they are very close! And they're a great bunch of kids.
These pictures are from Seb's race last week, which, to everyone's great delight…he WON! It was the JV race, and he is mostly running with Varsity these days, so it wasn't totally unexpected, but it was just so happy and fun to see him looking so strong and confident (and far ahead!). Some of the meets haven't allowed spectators, but this one did, so I got to bring ALL the other kids with me and we were going crazy cheering him on! It was very exciting. I hope the rest of his school year is equally exhilarating! :)

4 comments

  1. Those are the best units I’ve ever heard anyone think up! And your Abe. All grown. In contrast with Teddy. Just this morning we took Mette to K. Mike and I were taking about how we’ve had eight tiny kids hit this stage and remembering so clearly the day our Abe began K. He was quite the nervous little worrier when he was younger and we had a whole list of his grave concerns (like how he would know when to come in for recess or what he would do if he needed to go to the bathroom) written on a paper that we took that first day. His teacher knelt next to him and patiently and comfortingly addressed each question. And now he’s off on a mission! And there’s your little Teddy. And Abe was once him. And somehow he’ll become an Abe. What nutty business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe that after all these years, where I feel like we're always offset from each other, we have a kindergartner at the same time! Yay for our two little pumpkins. Mette looked so sweet in her first day pictures! And I want to hug your Abe's teacher for being so sweet about his little concerns. That's adorable. And I can't even fathom our Mette and Teddy being Abes and Daisys someday!

      Delete
  2. Also ... if you can think of anywhere I might be able to buy hemp oil, especially in Australia, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAhahaha. I'm almost tempted to leave that first comment there just so this comment gets the accolades it deserves. :)

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top