Seek Jesus

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Relief Society Session of the October 1994 Conference.
It seems like in the Doctrine and Covenants, so many people want to know the answer to the question of "what will be of the most worth unto you." And then it's always been funny to me how many people get the same instructions! ("Declare repentance," usually.)

That's kind of how it's been with me when I've asked for priesthood blessings in the past several years—getting the same answer, I mean. Or rather, the answer I often get to the question "what should I be doing right now?" seems like something that could be told to everyone. And yet it somehow still feels like a very personal effort. 

This is the counsel: "Draw closer to Jesus Christ." "Seek after the Savior." "Involve the Savior more in your life." I've been told it personally over multiple years, in multiple ways, so I know it must be important! And honestly, if I could choose one thing to get my children to do, it would be this! Isn't it what God would counsel all of us? 

Well, apparently Sister Elaine L. Jack felt the same way, because she said:
We must seek to know Jesus Christ, for this is knowledge that is singular and everlasting. Jesus told us explicitly, “Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently.” Sisters, if I could offer but two words of counsel, they would be “Seek Jesus!” Moroni counseled, “Seek this Jesus of whom the prophets and apostles have written, that the grace of God the Father, and also the Lord Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, which beareth record of them, may be and abide in you forever.” What a promise, and what a challenge!

Seeking Jesus feeds our spiritual soul and at the same time prompts us to feed others. We do it in small ways, and these efforts make a big difference. Seeking Jesus helps us to prioritize, to find time to read the scriptures every day so we can feel the Spirit of the Lord all day long. Seeking Jesus is learning to balance what we feel in our hearts with what we know to be true in our minds, and show through our actions that we understand that balance.
It reminds me of the quote I love from President Hunter, given in the Conference right before this one—
We must know Christ better than we know him; we must remember him more often than we remember him; we must serve him more valiantly than we serve him. Then we will drink water springing up unto eternal life and will eat the bread of life. 

No comments

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top