The important thing is the growth

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Conversion and Retention Broadcast in the April 1999 Conference.
This broadcast was out of the ordinary. You'd think I'd remember something about it, but I don't! I think maybe it was just for people in leadership positions. And it wasn't in April, it was in February 1999, but it's on the same page online as the talks from April 1999 Conference so I went ahead and read it.

President Hinckley starts by saying,
Speculation has been going about that President Hinckley is going to announce some new and glamorous program. I assure you that this is not so.
That made me laugh. Sounds like what everyone (me included) did for the first few Conferences after President Nelson became the prophet! We knew we shouldn't speculate. But we just couldn't help it!

Anyway, then he says:
I forewarn you, this will be a rather long talk. I am an old man. I do not know how much longer I will live, and so I want to say what I have to say, while I have the strength to say it. I do not know when I will give a talk this long again. I shall give two speeches interrupted by the singing of a hymn. Altogether, I will take about 40 minutes. Having been warned, some of you will wish to get comfortable. Pleasant dreams.
Haha! He was in fine form that day. I love him. And then he proceeded to give such an amazing talk on missionary work. I can't even quote all the parts I liked! I think it's so interesting how my perspective on missionary work has just…broadened, I guess, since Abe went on his mission. It's nothing I can pinpoint, because of course I've heard these things my whole life! President Hinckley talked so often about the needs of a convert (a friend, a responsibility, nourished by the good word of God) that I've incorporated that into my permanent worldview—I feel like I've always known those things. Likewise the idea of "every member a missionary" and the responsibility all of us have to fellowship and reach out to new members of our wards. 

But hearing from Abe week after week, talking with him about his efforts with the church members and the ward council and the people he's teaching—it's just made me feel all this in a different, more personal, way. And being on the ward council makes me aware of needs and responsibilities in a different way as well. My mind makes connections with these concepts based on my feelings and experiences, and I can't even describe in words what I feel. But I do encourage you to read the whole talk and hopefully it will fill you with hope and desire in the way it did me!

I will pull out one quote that struck me particularly, and the reason it did is that it applies so perfectly to youth (and even children!) too. I have always had a hard time giving people jobs I know they won't do well. When I was Young Women President years ago, I always felt ambivalent about the idea of the girls teaching the lessons. "They so desperately need GOOD lessons while they're still young and learning," I thought, "and it's the leaders who can provide those." And…I do still feel that in many ways. I do think there needs to be a good amount of direction, guidance, mentoring, etc. given by those who have more experience. But I have also realized over the years that there is good reason for the Lord's emphasis on giving a person his own assignment, her own responsibilities. And I've realized that even children and youth can do a lot of great things if you give them a chance.

So, here is the quote:
Activity is the genius of this Church. It is the process by which we grow. Faith and love for the Lord are like the muscle of my arm. If I use them, they grow stronger. If I put them in a sling, they become weaker. Every convert deserves a responsibility. The bishop may feel that he is not qualified for responsibility. Take a chance on him. Think of the risk the Lord took when He called you.

Of course the new convert will not know everything. He likely will make some mistakes. So what? We all make mistakes. The important thing is the growth that will come of activity.
I just love that. "So what? We all make mistakes." It's so true. The Lord DID take a risk when he called me to…basically every calling I've ever had. I forget things. I take time to realize what's needed. I say and do things badly. But through these mistakes, I progress and grow closer to the Lord. 

Reading this talk made me want to recommit to letting my children (my own children, and those in my stewardship) join in the work of God. It made me want to make sure I am patient with their mistakes and missteps, and that I give them room to try new things and grow stronger in an environment full of love.

I just gave a talk about this exact thing to the 11-year-olds—about rising up and joining the ranks of "doers" in the church, about becoming partners in the work of God. "Come assist in the work." It was a message given to me by revelation—and I know it was what God wanted these young people to hear. It seems it's what I need to hear too. We need the youth and we need the children and we need every member to join together to do God's work. And as we do it, we as workers, too, feel satisfaction and growth and salvation and joy.

2 comments

  1. Silly me, I didn't even see this because I work from the physical copy of the Ensign. I listen to the talk and follow along in the Ensign, underlining things as directed by the Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I love that you have the physical copies from all those years! My mom has all her old copies too. I do like that way of reading, actually underlining something real. But I'm grateful I have the talks on my phone too!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top