You'll grow into it

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Priesthood Session of the October 1999 Conference.
I thought Elder Wirthlin had a good message for New Year's. He tells a cute story about how he always had to wear clothes that were too big for him, and his mom would say, "Don't worry, Joseph; you'll grow into them." Then he says:
First, I want to tell you young men that the Lord has His eye upon you. He loves you. He knows you. He knows your triumphs and your trials, your successes and your heartaches.

He knows that at times you may look at the challenges you may face and may think they’re too big to handle. He is, however, willing and ready to help you as you grow into the men you are to become.
I feel like everything I have stewardship over is really too big for me to handle, honestly. My calling, my ministering, and definitely my family! Any time I think about all the things I need to improve, I feel overwhelmed with the sheer number of them! It's comforting to think that apostles sometimes feel that way too, so I loved this reminder:
You have been chosen by the Lord to come forth on the earth when wickedness and evil are very powerful. But you are up to the challenge.…

That does not mean you will not face your share of heartache, challenges, and trial. Since the days when I first stuffed cotton into my ice skates and put on oversized shoulder pads and helmet, my life has been filled with experiences and challenges that seemed at the time too big for me. Even today I can’t help but feel, every now and again, that the size of the mantle I have been asked to wear is perhaps too large.

But every day I try to put Heavenly Father first in my life, I try to come unto Christ and follow Him as my Savior and Redeemer, I nurture the companionship of the Holy Ghost, love and revere the Prophet Joseph, and listen to and follow God’s prophet today. As I do those things, I am confident the Lord will bless me.

Even after all these years, I can still hear the voice of my mother: “Be grateful for what you have, Joseph. Don’t worry; you’ll grow into it.”

It is my prayer that we may all grow into the priesthood and be the kind of men our Heavenly Father wants us to be.


Other posts in this series:

Priesthood Power—by Rozy 

No comments

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top