Willingly allow him to lead you

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Saturday Afternoon Session of the October 2006 Conference.
I loved Elder Scott this week, always with something good to say:
The challenges you face, the growth experiences you encounter, are intended to be temporary scenes played out on the stage of a life of continuing peace and happiness. Sadness, heartache, and disappointment are events in life. It is not intended that they be the substance of life. I do not minimize how hard some of these events can be. When the lesson you are to learn is very important, trials can extend over a long period of time, but they should not be allowed to become the confining focus of everything you do. Your life can and should be wondrously rewarding. It is your understanding and application of the laws of God that will give your life glorious purpose as you ascend and conquer the difficulties of life. That perspective keeps challenges confined to their proper place—stepping-stones to further growth and attainment.
I understand all that in theory (although even in theory it's pretty amazing…I don't think most people in the world know or believe this!)—but I wonder how much more peace I could find if I could really believe this, live like I believe it: believe that the hard things I'm going through, or that my kids are going through, are really not the "substance of life." And that they're purposeful. That they're stepping stones to good things. Such a beautiful perspective! Then I love this:
The Lord is intent on your personal growth and development. Your progress is accelerated when you willingly allow Him to lead you through every growth experience you encounter, whether you welcome the experience or not. Trust in the Lord.
I like the distinction Elder Scott makes there that we don't have to "welcome the experience" to benefit from it, and even to see benefit from it. I like the idea of praying, "Okay, I never wanted this, but lead me through it! I want to grow." I do want to grow, after all. And I do want to increase my trust in the Lord. So with the perspective from the first quote (the substance of life is goodness and happiness!) and the determination from the second, it seems like I should be able to move forward through trials without so much fear!


Other posts in this series:

No comments

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top