Treasuring up

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Women's Session of the October 1979 Conference.
This week I read the talk given by President Kimball called "The Role of Righteous Women." You know that talk, or at least about it—because Sister Eubank used her entire talk this last October to reiterate and expand on what President Kimball said. She took the charge he gave back then, and passed it on to the women in the church today. I loved her talk, so it's no surprise I loved President Kimball's original, too!

Here are a few highlights. President Kimball said:
I stress again the deep need each woman has to study the scriptures. We want our homes to be blessed with sister scriptorians—whether you are single or married, young or old, widowed or living in a family. 
…Become scholars of the scriptures…After all, who has any greater need to “treasure up” the truths of the gospel (on which they may call in their moments of need) than do women and mothers who do so much nurturing and teaching?
Sister scriptorians! I love that! (Although, it's a funny word to use, since I've never heard anyone ever claim to BE a scriptorian. Everybody always just says they AREN'T one, when making comments in church. Ha ha.) And I've been thinking about "treasuring up" truth since my friend wrote about it recently. She said:
[Lately] I’ve become more aware of the scripture in me. Words and verses that I must surely have put there over the years. I’ve wondered, on occasion, why the push to read scripture when current talks, etc. are often spoken in a way that more naturally appeals to me. But I’ve neglected perhaps to recognize how, much like poetry and song, scripture can float into my head.… 
And I’m seeing more and more that it is not random floating at all. It’s The Spirit bringing scripture to my mind – and more importantly to my heart. It seems to somehow be a sacred language of The Spirit that, if we simply put it in us, he can call up in a way that opens understanding, soothes fears, and guides decisions. Lately, I take note the minute words of scripture pop into my head. I acknowledge that I am learning how to hear God. And I want more scripture in me – to facilitate hearing Him more frequently.
I feel just the same: I want more scripture in me! Like President Kimball says, we women NEED these truths stored within us so we can call upon them in moments of need! I often have bits of scripture come into my head, and I've learned that when I look up those phrases and read the verses nearby, there is often even MORE enlightenment waiting for me. But when the time comes to share that enlightenment with others…I feel like I'm always stumbling over my words or saying the wrong thing in important conversations. Especially when those conversations come upon me unexpectedly! But I'm trying to just trust that because I do try to treasure up those words of the scriptures, somehow Heavenly Father will speak through me when it matters most—or maybe make my words come across clearer or better than they really are.

I've also noticed that sometimes those "treasured up" words that come back at the right time are…hmm, I don't want this to be taken the wrong way, but they're…my OWN words! Ha ha. Not really my VERY own. I'm often dissatisfied at the time with how inadequately I capture what I WANT to say, when I try to write down spiritual experiences or truths that I'm learning. But later, on re-reading—in my scripture journal, or even on this blog—something I had previously learned will strike me again with new force, and give me an insight that I need particularly at that time. It's amazing, the way God uses everything so efficiently! He can bless me with a spiritual experience…and then bless me with it again when I think back on it later!

Here's one more related passage I liked from President Kimball's talk:
All of you need to drink in deeply the gospel truths about the eternal nature of your individual identity and the uniqueness of your personality. You need, more and more, to feel the perfect love which our Father in Heaven has for you and to sense the value he places upon you as an individual. Ponder upon these great truths, especially in those moments when (in the stillness of such anxiety as you may experience as an individual) you might otherwise wonder and be perplexed.
I see this instruction—to "drink in deeply" the truths about how much God loves us, and to "ponder upon" them frequently—as another way to "treasure up" God's word. Sometimes I worry that I'm getting too…needy. Or greedy. Or something—when I want to feel again and again that God loves me. I wonder, "Shouldn't I already know this? God has blessed me so much. And He has helped me so often in the past. Of course he loves me! I should never question that!" And I don't question it, exactly…but His love is something I can never get enough of feeling, and when life gets hard or tiring, I want more of it! So I appreciate President Kimball's reminder that it's a good thing to seek for, and a good thing to ponder upon. Of course we have to sometimes experience loneliness and uncertainty, where we just trust, but don't feel, that God is near. But perhaps if I do a better job of "treasuring up"—noticing, remembering, writing about, pondering about—the reality of God's love whenever I feel it strongly, it will be even more of a reassurance to me during the more difficult times.

Other posts in this series:

5 comments

  1. I love this all so much! Not because you quoted me. Haha! (Though of course it made me happy.) But because, as usual, you’ve added to and expanded my own thoughts!

    I love what you said about them coming back to you as your own words. I love how they become that! Our own testimonies and knowledge and part of our own words and insights. And like you, I’ve found them and new understandings from my own spiritual journal entries, etc!

    Another thing I’ve thought about is in Luke 12:12 when it talks about the Holy Ghost teaching us what to say when we need it. Somehow I hadn’t realized that him teaching us what to say meant more than him just telling us. I don’t know if I can explain this right, but the Holy Ghost has so often TAUGHT me something new right as I speak it! Like when I’m reading the scriptures out loud with my kids and start to comment on one and learn some new thing as I say it. Or when you and I are discussing gospel topics and words start coming from the Spirit that I DIDN’T KNOW before! It’s amazing.

    Also, the whole business of having the right words come to us if we study the scriptures. There are SO many scriptures like DandC 84:85 where we are told to treasure up his words and then we will know what to say. And I always imagine that happening in some very on-the-spot high stress situation where someone challenges some church teaching and the perfect words come. But I’ve rarely experienced that. Mostly that ends up me thinking later what I SHOULD have said. BUT! I’ve started to realize that that ya one of those blessings/promises from the scriptures that is happening often in daily conversations with friends and family and my kids. Where the right insights or pieces of comfort or understandings etc just flow naturally into conversations. And very often with bits of scripture as the backdrop. It’s lovely and I’m trying to notice it more when it does!

    Lastly, I loved that last quote! I’m always thinking of Jacob telling us to feast on God’s love, but so often struggling to do so. I love this reminder of how necessary it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have noticed that too with learning something as I say it. It's sort of like how as you bear your testimony you feel your testimony being reinforced, like "Oh yeah--I really DO know this!" But on an even broader level, and including NEW things! That's why I like teaching lessons, because I learn so much even while in the act of giving the lesson. I would like to find more ways to gain that kind of experience during my own personal study, too!

      Delete
  2. I heard that talk while I was serving my mission in the South, and remember the feeling I had hearing the call to be scholars of the scriptures. It was one of those Joseph Smith moments, where it entered into my heart "with great force." I felt President Kimball was speaking directly to me. I have studied the scriptures ever since (and even before). When I was in the MTC I listened to Elder after Elder comment that he wished he'd studied more diligently in Seminary. Hah! I had studied diligently and knew the basic doctrines well. Since that time my understanding and testimony has deepened, broadened and even lengthened! It has expanded in every way possible. I'm now teaching Gospel Doctrine and having a great time conveying my love of the scriptures to fellow saints.

    I know I sound like I'm bragging, and I don't mean to; I just love the scriptures and how they hold the answers to every challenge, problem, trial, etc. that we find in this life. They are the handbook and guidebook to get us back to our Heavenly home. The more familiar we are with them the more we see and feel the presence of the Savior ahead of us, leading us through the vicissitudes of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you don't sound at all like you're bragging. It's just that you have paid the price to have a testimony of this principle, and you DO have one! It comes through as you write. I think it's such a blessing when you can really say, "I am living this principle!" about something. Of course we can always improve, in any area. But it brings me such peace and confidence when in my own heart, I KNOW I am trying my best at something. It makes me feel like I can have more trust in Heavenly Father, knowing I'm doing my part. I just wish there were MORE areas I felt that confidence in!

      Anyway, I love how you described your love of the scriptures--like it's just part of you now. You can just let that love guide you into better and better study! I think I am not there yet---but I'm on my way. I am learning to love the scriptures even when they're difficult (although I'm in the middle of the OT right now...and some days it's very hard to love it!). And I already DO love the Book of Mormon that way.

      Delete
    2. Keep pressing forward through the OT. After the BofM, it's my favorite! So many good stories, so many testimonies and prophecies of the Savior from the prophets, and so much proof that although technology and cultures may change, human nature has not changed since the beginning. We are more like the ancients than we want to believe.

      You are in the midst of raising a large family, so scripture study is harder than it will be when your youngest is self-sufficient. As your family sees you modeling reading and studying though, great things will happen! Keep up the good work!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top