Build within ourselves that power of love

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Sunday Afternoon Session of the April 1982 Conference.
We know that we, in our imperfect bodies and in our strivings for perfection, are confronted with situations where members of our own families, or even a spouse, can behave like an enemy. Then the time comes when love as a power is needed and tested, for the person who has earned love the least needs it the most.
This quote from Elder F. Enzio Busche is a second witness to the quotes in this post, and it must be something I need to hear, because I keep running into this idea.

Sam talked about it at our family party last week.

This article talks about it beautifully, too.

We need to love the people that are hard to love. And we can't do it without help!
The only way [to do it] is to build within ourselves that power of love, literally asking our Heavenly Father for this gift of love—and becoming a Saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord and becoming as a child in humility, that we can be filled with this unconditional love, and in this love, being in the Spirit and with this Spirit, being directed in all the challenges of our lives.

Other posts in this series: 

5 comments

  1. Well thanks for sharing because you're not the only one who needs that particular message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been working at it and pleading for it for several years now, and that help has not been granted me yet. I'm not giving up, but it is getting harder by the day to keep trying to act in love and asking for help to do what is right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so baffling when something we are commanded to ask for, and desperately want, and ARE asking for, doesn't seem like it's coming. I have had some prayers that fall into that category too. It's so hard!

      Delete
  3. This reminds me of that scripture where Jesus says that those who love the people that treat them well and love them aren't actually doing anything that special as pretty much everyone, sinners included, can do that. But like your friend above, my goodness I have prayed and prayed for charity and am not sure I've improved much at all yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes. Me too! That's why I keep getting this message, I suppose---to remind me not to give up asking ANYWAY! And trying.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top