Edmonton and some dear people

Rachael and I have been friends so long, we don't even remember becoming friends. It's just something that has always been, like the sun rising every morning, or spring coming after winter. In first grade we were excused together during learning-to-read time to do "independent projects" (we were already strong readers, and our teachers always trusted us…though I remember making slippers out of stapled-together paper towels for one of our "projects," which I'm not sure is quite what they had in mind). In sixth grade we were cast as best friends in the class play, at which everyone rolled their eyes and said "of course!" In high school people used our names interchangeably or just called us both "Rachael-n-Marilyn." In college we majored in music, played recitals together (she on violin, me on piano) and lived together in her grandpa's house. And then…she met a nice Canadian boy and married him, and I married Sam, and suddenly we had to face the idea of being apart.

Thank heavens email was just starting to be mainstream, and we saw each other most summers as she came to Utah to visit her parents, picking up right where we'd left off every time we managed to snatch an hour or two together. Once when Abraham was very young, Sam and I drove up to visit Rachael and James in Raymond, Alberta, and it was dreamy. But for the most part Rach and I built our lives and our homes in separate places and had to be content with catching up every now and then. But there's always a little Rachael-shaped hole in my life. So a couple summers ago when we got to hang out at my house with our kids…AND our kids totally hit it off even though they are way past the time where you can just tell them to play together because they're the same ages…it made me so happy. And then when I asked the kids if there was anywhere particular they wanted to go for our family vacation this summer, and they said, "Canada! To visit the Spencers!"—I was even happier.
The scenery all looked like this, from the Canadian border nearly to Edmonton. Lots of beautiful yellow canola fields.
Rachael's family had moved farther north, way up to Edmonton, since we'd visited all those years ago. 16 hours sounds so much more intimidating than 12! But it really wasn't too bad, getting up there. We drove 13 hours to Calgary, stayed in a hotel overnight, and then it was only 3-4 more on to Edmonton. We were there by lunchtime of the second day. We met Rachael's family at Elk Island National Park, which is a beautiful area 30 minutes from their house. Rach had made the best picnic lunch for us.
Our kids picked up right where they'd left off, chattering and laughing and playing volleyball and frisbee and that game where you throw poles at posts. There was a little ranger station where you could borrow a net for scooping things out of the lake, and then pour them into little trays to look at them. The kids LOVED it. They caught tiny fish and lots of little bugs and some LEECHES, which I've never seen before. They were horrifying. They could squinch themselves up into balls and then s-t-r-e-t-c-h themselves out as long as earthworms. *Shudder*.
We stayed in a rental house in Edmonton so as to not COMPLETELY overwhelm the Spencers. And it was a cute little house (furnished in 100% IKEA, if I'm not mistaken…) But we didn't end up spending much time there. We were at Rachael's house from morning till night every day. She and James were the best hosts! Rachael had all kinds of fun ideas of things for us to do, but in the end, all the kids wanted to do was hang out together, playing board games, or swinging in the hammocks in the backyard. And Rachael and I just wanted to cook together, adapting recipes just like old times, and talk about everything in the world. So we kept it low-key and it was PERFECT that way. 

We did go to the West Edmonton Mall water park one day (for 7 hours…we have NEVER lasted at a swimming pool that long before, because whoever the current baby is always gets cold, but this was indoors and Zig stayed happy the whole time! And the other kids had the time of their LIVES) but the rest of the time we just hung out, walked to parks, went to church, played with Mae-Mae the hedgehog, and cooked enough to feed armies. William and Ryrie (Rachael's oldest boys…twins) set Abe up with a girl they knew and the three of them went out on a triple-date (Abe's first!). James made the best sourdough bread for us, and he and Sam made amazing pizza in the outdoor pizza oven. Ziggy learned everyone's name and rattled off animal sounds for the Spencer boys just like a performing seal.
The children floated homemade boats under a bridge and through the canal pipes, and we only lost one (boat, not child).
We saw the HUGE Edmonton bunnies, which in spite of being enormous still managed to look like rocks when they sat still. But seriously! They were as big as dogs! Rach says they turn white in the winter.
We celebrated Seb's birthday.
Ziggy was DOTED ON by all. Perhaps even a little spoiled. :)
We went to Rachael's cute library.
Rach has a bunny on her mailbox!

I really didn't even take that many pictures (argh! Why didn't I get one of all of us together?!) but it was heavenly. Just heavenly. All the kids wanted to stay longer, and if I hadn't known that Rachael's family had Regular Life to get back to, we could have so happily stayed for weeks and weeks. Everyone gets along so well, it's like magic. James is the nicest person in the world and the best husband I could imagine to take care of Rachael. I'm so, so happy that she and he got married and had such darling, smart, friendly. polite, fun kids. But—how I wish, wish, wish they lived closer! I was feeling very bleak and sad and teary as we drove away on the last day at 5 a.m., heading toward Jasper National Park. It was so hard to say goodbye.
But the morning was beautiful and misty. 
And we had so much beautiful scenery ahead of us! So it was okay.

*****
And now I'm going to skip ahead to the END of our trip (don't worry, I will of course fill in with more posts later, hee hee) when we were driving home, by way of another dear friend's house! She lives up in Coeur d'Alene Idaho, which is on the way to precisely NOWHERE (every time we drive north I check), but which miraculously lined up with one of the routes home from Golden B.C., where our second rental house was.
It was a beautiful drive from Golden to Coeur d'Alene. Even prettier than the Helena-to-Calgary way.

I was super excited to see Jessica (I met her when I was on Study Abroad to London, and we became even closer when she transferred from Ricks to BYU) and amazed that it has been TEN YEARS since we last got together. Jess and Seth fed us a delicious dinner and found places for ALL of us to sleep, and we stayed up till 2 a.m. laughing and talking while the kids played Clue. I wished we'd had another week together!

Jessica's oldest daughter Lydia was starting college at BYU in a couple weeks, and we got to take her with us part of the way down to Provo! That was really fun. Lydia is darling!
Teddy and Megan became instant friends. Why can't all these wonderful people live next door to us?!?
Daisy was pretty excited that one of Jessica's kids had a matching pillow pet! (Coincidentally, so did one of Rachael's kids. Apparently we only stay with people who have penguin pillow pets. And who have husbands who teach institute. And who are bishops.)
The view from Jessica's deck. Amazing.
We did SO MUCH DRIVING on this trip. It wasn't just the 32 hours up and back. There was 5 hours over to Jasper, and 6 or 7 between Jasper and Banff, and then lots of back-and-forthing in Banff and 6 more hours from Golden to Coeur d'Alene and 11 more to get home. So maybe 56 hours or more total? And the kids were good. Amazingly good, especially Ziggy. He sat watching the road for hours at a time and pointing out every…single…truck. He was mostly sweet and adorable. But…the home stretch was rough. We were soooo close to home. And first he threw up, and then a few hours later he just LOST IT. Crying and screaming and inconsolable. But then Seb stepped in. He was a STAR. He read Ziggy a million books and gently talked him into happiness again, like magic. Oh we were all so grateful. And we did make it home eventually. And we were so thankful to be there (even if we were feeling a little sad that our grand adventure was at an end).

9 comments

  1. You and Rachel must have just read a Ramona book when you stapled paper towel slippers!!!

    It is marvelous to have friends like this. I know. I have one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh! Yes! We must have! I do seem to remember doing things that went along with books. There was another project about Johnny Appleseed...and something from a book about idioms...it's all very dim in my memory, hahaha.

      I'm glad you have a friend like this too! I feel so blessed to have actually been able to maintain this friendship with Rachael for all these years. Not everyone gets that chance, I know!

      Delete
  2. I’m so giddy that you stayed in Raymond once — my mom was born in Raymond and moved to Edmonton (although she considers home to be Cardston). Isn’t Alberta fabulous? So glad you made the beautiful drive to see a dear friend.
    I’m also happy you mentioned Ricks. BYU-I will always be Ricks to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! I had the feeling you had some Canadian connection! Did you ever live there? I loved Raymond. And I loved Edmonton too. Alberta feels like it hits that sweet spot between different and cool, and yet still comfortable, for me. :)

      Delete
  3. I’ve always lived in the states, but Canada is definitely a second home. We pretty much spent our summers in Cardston and Waterton (the Canadian side of Glacier National Park — we have a family cabin there). Actually, Philip and Kayelynn came up with me one year during college. It was so fun sharing Alberta with friends. And since Kayelynn has passed I definitely cherish that memory even more.
    I love Raymond, too! My great grandparents lived right off of Main Street for decades and I loved visiting their home.
    The majority of my aunts/uncles/cousins live between Cardston and Calgary. And I’m officially a dual citizen. Hoping my immigration lawyer uncle can swing that designation for my kids as well.
    Sorry — way tmi! I just love my Canadian roots. :)
    We were just there in August, and I felt like my summer was complete.
    I wonder if I’m related to Rachael’s husband at all? If he has southern Alberta ties I’m sure there’s a connection.
    Okay, I’ll stop now šŸ˜‚. Welcome home!!! As you can tell, I loved reading about your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to go to Waterton again! We spent a few hours there when I stayed in Raymond, but not enough! And now that we've seen Jasper and Banff (I'll post those soon :)) I feel like I can't get enough of that Canadian rockies scenery!

      And It's cool you have dual citizenship. Rachael's kids do too. I forgot Philip went up there with you! Did you need a passport back then? We did get passports for our kids for this trip, though I read it MIGHT not be necessary for them...

      Not TMI at all. I love _hearing_ about your Canadian roots :) Hope your family is all doing well!

      Delete
  4. I don’t think we needed passports back then. And, currently, if you’re a minor, you only need a birth certificate to cross the border by car (although by plane everyone needs a passport). But it’s great your entire family has passports — it allows you to be spontaneous if a great travel opportunity comes along. :)
    We’re doing well, thanks. Hope things are great with you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that DOES sound heavenly! I love both of you so much, this just made me so happy. I love how you started off listing some of the wonderful things you guys did and then the list just kept going and going and going. Such a blessing to be able to create memories like that. And they really will last forever. Angie and I were reminiscing about just such a trip that was over 10 years ago, now. So glad I got to see Rachael during her trip to UT this summer. I dragged her to buy a door at Lowes and then to Walmart. A little too practical but that was seriously the only way we could squeeze it in. I just felt lucky that she made time for me at all. Thanks for posting about this awesome trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Buying a door with you at Lowe's sounds like the perfect outing! :) Now it's you that's going to have to squeeze in a door-buying trip with me next time you're in town! I feel like I need to get all your house-fixing-up advice! :)

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top