To care for the needs of others

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Priesthood Session of the October 1991 Conference.
I understand why people sometimes feel dissatisfied with the idea of being "assigned" a ministering sister and brother in our church. But I've always quite liked the idea that our church organization has a way to make sure no one gets forgotten. And I welcome the help and motivation the church gives me to do the service I want, but sometimes don't know how, to do anyway! I think that's what Rex D. Pinegar meant by this: 
Jesus taught us how to do good: love our neighbors, forgive others, care for the poor, the needy, the afflicted, the lonely. It is inspiring to see that the Lord has organized His church to also do these same things—to care for the needs of others through various assignments.
I've always believed that the assignments we get through church callings aren't arbitrary, anyway—that God has His hand in them, and that they're given because we have something important to offer or gain from the people we work with (I've certainly had assignments where I didn't feel like I ever succeeded in figuring out what that was, but I'm pretty sure the failure there was on my end, not His!)

Elder Pinegar goes on to expand on our role, and I like this too:
These planned acts of service generated through church programs are important and commendable. They are the mark of a Christian people. The Church has a function in service and renders assistance that cannot be provided by individuals alone. These opportunities of the Church as an institution, however, cannot fulfill the responsibility you and I have for personal acts of Christlike kindness. These lift our soul and renew our relationship with our Heavenly Father and with His Son, Jesus Christ.
I don't think this is news to anyone, and I think we all aspire to serve outside as well as within our "assigned" areas, but lately it's been kind of interesting to me to think about various people that feel linked to me through proximity or history or friendship, in terms of being my "unofficial ministering assignments." If Heavenly Father influences my church assignments, surely He is even more involved in choosing the people I'm even closer to? I just like imagining that Heavenly Father arranged my life so as to bring me into contact with certain people, for the very purpose of ministering to them and maybe understanding or loving them in ways that are specific to my talents and personality. And it's just as comforting to think about God bringing people (often the same people!) into my life specifically to help ME! There's something really nice about the idea of a huge net of people around me, starting with my own family and spreading out from there, that Heavenly Father perhaps gave heavenly ministering assignments to before we came to earth.


Other posts in this series:

1 comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top