Some gifts women have

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Sunday Afternoon Session of the October 1996 Conference.
Elder Scott noticed something I've never noticed in the scriptures! Here's what he says:
Later, “Adam blessed God … and began to prophesy concerning all the families of the earth, saying: Blessed be the name of God, for because of my transgression my eyes are opened, and in this life I shall have joy, and again in the flesh I shall see God.” Adam was thinking about his responsibilities. He was trying to align his performance with the desires of the Lord.
Eve said, “Were it not for our transgression we never should have had seed, and never should have known good and evil, and the joy of our redemption, and the eternal life which God giveth unto all the obedient.” Eve’s response was characteristic of a woman. She embraced all, wanted to make sure that everyone was considered. 
One response was not more correct than the other. The two perspectives resulted from the traits inherent in men and women. The Lord intends that we use those differences to fulfill His plan for happiness, personal growth, and development. By counseling together they arrived at a broader, more correct understanding of truth.
Isn't that interesting? I like reading about differences between men and women (even though it annoys me when those are overemphasized as they sometimes are…) because it gives me hope that the occasional frustration in trying to understand each other is for a reason! And I like the idea that Adam and Eve, in these two statements emphasized in the temple, were together creating a glimpse of whole truth. It makes me want to do better at seeing purpose in the different ways Sam and I sometimes want to react to or manage things, rather than just wishing we were of "one heart" all the time. I DO want to be of one heart! But maybe my current idea of unity is incomplete. That's an interesting thing to think about.

I also liked thinking about Eve's characteristic of "making sure everyone was considered" because I'm always interested in reading more about spiritual gifts I might have because of being a woman—things I might not know about or have developed yet. Wanting to embrace and bring people together is a gift I'd like to have! 

Sister Elaine Jack tells about another gift in her talk:
Many women have the gift of discernment. Often blessed with the power to know and understand beyond their experience, women draw on this strength as they visit monthly to teach in the homes or to assess needs as directed by the bishop. We use it as we nurture our children and teach them the gospel. We discern, by the power of God given to us through His Spirit that “one thing is needful.” Nothing we do is more important than the work of righteousness in our homes.

Discernment is critical for our times. President Boyd K. Packer has said, “We need women with the gift of discernment who can view the trends in the world and detect those that, however popular, are shallow.” That is exactly what we need.
Again, something I'd love to get better at. It sounds not just helpful, but essential for today, doesn't it? "Viewing the trends in the world and detecting those that, however popular, are shallow"? And discerning how to nurture or what to teach our children? There's nothing I want more! It's comforting to think that maybe I already have the innate ability inside me, and I just need to develop it by getting closer to the Spirit or drawing on the power of faith.

I have to include one last quote from this conference, only loosely related to the above, but it's so good. It's from Elder Holland's talk:
Perhaps you know people in the broad congregation of this conference, or in your local ward or stake—or in your own home—courageous people who are carrying heavy burdens and feeling private pain, who are walking through the dark valleys of this world’s tribulation…

These beloved people seek the Lord and His word with particular urgency, often revealing their true emotions only when the scriptures are opened or when the hymns are sung or when the prayers are offered. Sometimes only then do the rest of us realize they feel near the end of their strength—they are tired in brain and body and heart, they wonder if they can get through another week or another day or sometimes just another hour. They are desperate for the Lord’s help and they know that in such times of extremity nothing else will do.

Well, at least one of the purposes of general conference and the teachings of the prophets down through the ages is to declare to these very people that the Lord is equally fervent in trying to reach them, that when there is trouble His hopes and His striving and His efforts greatly exceed our own and it never ceases.

Of course I knew the truth of that already. But I love the way he says it. Equally fervent! Christ's efforts greatly exceed our own! It's so hopeful, when I think about times of discouragement when I'm desperately reaching for God, to realize HIM reaching equally (more!) desperately out to ME! Such a powerful image.

2 comments

  1. I do love that Holland quote!

    And also it is kind of fascinating to me to think of unity as something bigger than simply … I don’t know … learning to appreciate that all of our differences can be used to unitedly do God’s work; that it might also be that we all have PARTS of a bigger whole, pieces of larger, more complete truth! And that as we more fully bring all those things together we broaden and expand and become more complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It reminds me of that parable someone told...was it Elder Packer? Where there was a lock, and it took two unique keys to open it, and the man and the woman each had a different key. It's interesting to think of finding truth that way.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top