Read the story of the Son of God

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Saturday Morning Session of the April 1998 Conference.
I've been thinking about how to improve our family scripture study. Is it even possible to have family scripture "study" and not just "reading" (which is hard enough!)? Hmm. I don't know. But these quotes from Sister Anne G. Wirthlin made me wish I knew how:
How can we engage our children in learning from the scriptures so that the testimonies of the prophets will make a difference in their lives? We have been counseled to read the scriptures together as families. When scripture reading and sharing is a tradition in our families, then our children are more likely to make it a habit in their personal lives.
I would like to get better at that—sharing ways that the scriptures have helped me, or sharing insights I've gained through study. I think about those things a lot myself, but I don't know that I often think to share them with my family!

I also liked this:
President Hinckley has counseled parents: “Read to your children. Read the story of the Son of God. Read to them from the New Testament. Read to them from the Book of Mormon. It will take time, and you are very busy, but it will prove to be a great blessing in your lives as well as in their lives. And there will grow in their hearts a great love for the Savior of the world, the only perfect man who walked the earth. He will become to them a very real living being, and His great atoning sacrifice as they grow to manhood and womanhood, will take on a new and more glorious meaning in their lives.”
And this:
That spirit which comes when we share sacred things of the heart will bond us together as families.
Those are very motivating promises about reading and sharing scriptures together!


Other posts in this series:

No comments

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top