The tender love of God

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Sunday Afternoon Session of the October 2006 Conference.
This post is actually from the Sunday Morning Session of October 2006, but somehow I read it with the afternoon session talks, so I'm posting about it this week!

I've thought a lot about (maybe written about too) the difference between knowing about the love of God and actually feeling it for yourself and others. Elder Anthony D. Perkins (whose name I don't even recognize! from the Seventy) gave a talk I really liked on that subject. He talks about how Satan uses feelings of false inadequacy or exaggerated imperfection to keep us from feeling God's love for ourselves. And then he gives suggestions of ways we can combat those Satanic deceptions and learn to"more fully feel the tender love of God."

He talks about refraining from thinking or saying negative words about ourselves—a habit I try to emphasize often with my children. I always tell them to try to say, "I'm not good at drawing cats yet" or "I'm still practicing how to shoot free throws"—rather than what they always do say, which is "I'm so bad at [whatever]." It's funny that that's an easy thing to tell children, but not so easy to do for myself! Elder Perkins also says:
Jesus Christ has commanded us, “Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not.” Doubt, fear, and worry indicate we have taken all of life’s burdens and anxieties on ourselves. When plagued by thoughts that you are inadequate, confidently say, “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” Then as you “cheerfully do all things that lie in [your] power,” you can rest assured that the Lord will do the remainder and things will work out all right.
But the counsel that struck me most this time was this:
To forgive yourself and others, you must trust the Atonement of Jesus Christ. The prophet Zenock prayed, “Thou art angry, O Lord, with this people, because they will not understand thy mercies which thou hast bestowed upon them because of thy Son.” Our Father in Heaven is saddened when we limit the power of His Son’s atoning sacrifice.
I don't know why that "Our Father in Heaven is saddened when we limit the power of His Son’s atoning sacrifice" stuck out to me exactly. Some people might read that and think, "Oh no, another thing to feel guilty about! Not only am I failing at everything, but when I get discouraged, I sadden Heavenly Father too!" But thinking about it from a parent's perspective, it makes so much sense to me. When my children struggle with small things, and bigger things as they get older, my strongest hope for them is just that they won't give up trying. I don't feel disgusted or judgmental when I see their struggling efforts. (Only when I see their lack of effort. Ha ha. But that's probably not fair either...) But really. I don't. I just feel so glad that they are trying to improve themselves. So glad that they're moving along the path, moving forward past their mistakes. So hopeful for them. And if I feel that way, of course Heavenly Father does too! He doesn't want us stuck on our past failures. He doesn't want us paralyzed with fear. He wants us using the power through our covenants, the power of the atonement of Jesus Christ, to keep moving cheerfully toward Him! And if we inadvertently limit that power by refusing to take advantage of it—of course he feels sad about that! Not for Himself but for us, because He knows we could have so much more peace and confidence if we would just let His love work in us.

Elder Perkins ends with
You will experience greater joy in life as you eradicate adult-onset pessimism and substitute childlike optimism. Optimism is a virtue that allows us to see God’s loving hand in the details of our life.…I testify of Heavenly Father, who in great and wonderful love reaches out to each of His children. I bear witness of Jesus Christ, who is “mighty to save” us from our inadequacies, imperfections, and sins. I bear testimony of the Holy Ghost, who will accompany the imperfect yet penitent soul.
When I think of it that way, there is such great reason for optimism! We have three members of the Godhead cheering for us, lifting us, loving us, and helping us. How can we possibly go wrong with Them at our side?

*****

Bonus quote, this one actually from the Sunday afternoon session, which I've been thinking about all week. This is by Elder Bednar:
One of the greatest indicators of our own spiritual maturity is revealed in how we respond to the weaknesses, the inexperience, and the potentially offensive actions of others.
!!! 

*****

Other posts in this series:


No comments

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top