The Patriotic Leek

Yesterday was St. David's Day, the National Day of Wales, on which, I was fascinated to learn, "people wear a symbol of either a leek (spring onion) or a daffodil. The leek is patriotic, arising from an occasion when a troop of Welsh were able to distinguish each other (from a troop of English enemy dressed in similar fashion) by wearing leeks. An alternative emblem developed in recent years is the daffodil, used and preferred over the leek by the British Government as it lacks the overtones of patriotic defiance associated with the leek."

If you're willing to risk the wrath of the British Government, perhaps tonight would be a good night to make Leek Soup? It's Abraham's favorite, after all. And it goes wonderfully with oatmeal muffins. Just the thing for a chilly March evening.

Leek Soup

3-5 potatoes, peeled and diced
3 medium leeks, sliced 1/8-inch thick (you cut off and discard the tough dark green part of the leek---which is most of it---and just use the light green/white part at the bottom)---OR can substitute 3 medium yellow onions
3 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 c. cream or evaporated milk
2 T. butter or margarine
2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
chopped fresh chives

Combine potatoes, leeks, and just enough broth to cover them in a stock pot. (I always use the pressure cooker.) Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 25-40 minutes (or, bring up to pressure, turn heat to med., and cook 5 min. See why I use the pressure cooker?) until vegetables are soft enough to mash.
Remove from heat, mash up vegetables (or blend in blender).
Return to heat. Add rest of chicken broth and water, to desired consistency (can leave out some water if you like it thicker).
Add cream, butter, salt, and pepper. Heat, but do not boil, until butter melts and soup is heated through.
Serve with chives as garnish, and, if desired, a dollop of sour cream on top.

7 comments

  1. Your timing is perfect--I have leeks in the fridge that I need to use up. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how do you discover these things, I wonder. And do you still run? And how would you wear a leek? They're HUGE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me miss the 27 Palace Court, you rogue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I google Earth'd it (I know how you like people making verbs out of nouns! Ha ha!) and I've been pining for it ever since. It looks just like we left it, except it's missing a couple key elements: us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth--I did that too! Last year I had to plan a London trip for all my siblings (except me) and my parents, and I zoomed way in scrolled along Queensway and Bayswater . . . I'm still up for a reunion in London someday . . .

    Marilyn, I distinctly remember eating Leek Soup (I'd never even _heard_ of leeks) in the center, made by Tina & Tony, and you told me that your mom had an even better recipe. And voila, here it is! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, that is intruiging. How WOULD you wear a leek? Especially in an espionage-related way? Hmm. Perhaps some experimentation is called for.

    And, Bethie, I plan to use the phrase "Google earth'd it" at every available opportunity from now on. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top