Girly


I was at a PTA meeting the other day and the lady next to me leaned over and said, "You have three boys and a girl?  Isn't it amazing how different it is to have a girl?  Don't you just feel such a difference with a girl, right from the very beginning?"

"Oh yes,"  I said.  "Amazing."

But it wasn't true.  I didn't want to disappoint that lady, but I really don't feel any difference (yet).  In fact, I accidently refer to Daisy as "him" rather frequently.  (This could be due to lack of sleep.)  My mother-in-law says that the girl/boy differences emerged later, maybe around age one (as opposed to normal personality differences between different kids, which become apparent right away), for her kids.  Is that your experience as well?

5 comments

  1. The personality differences between my kids were immediately apparent but the very clear difference between a girl and a boy showed up right about when Max started playing with toys. (What age is that, again?) Give infant Sophie a stick and she'd nurture it. Give infant Max a stick and it either became a hammer or a screwdriver, depending on his goal.

    I am so excited to meet your little girl. Sophie and I can teach her all kind of things about girliness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can already tell my girl is a lot more talkative. And I have some pretty talkative boys. And when she cries it's sometimes a really deeply emotional sob and she tries to talk to me about what happened when she's crying. It's actually really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just remembered something that I think happened to you with Abraham. Didn't a librarian rave about your beautiful girl and you even lied about his name so you wouldn't hurt her feelings? That's impressive. I hope you'll keep being honest with us so we can always know the true thoughts of your heart. :-) Did you say his name was Abi or something?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Good memory, Rach. It's funny, I was just thinking about that too. yeah, I said he was Abi, spineless Mom that I am. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think at this age the only real difference between girl and boy is in the diaper change. A girl might wet herself in between diapers, a boy sprays the entire room, you included.

    Just be grateful the lady noticed she was girl. Linaya is still getting 'him' thrown at her. The other day I had her dressed in a pink dress, and a guy said, 'Oh how old is he?' I wanted to ask if he's blind, but I too avoided being rude, and just said "three months."

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top