Easter cookies/Fruit pizza

Here is the pretty rainbow of Easter cookies we made last week during Spring Break. Sometimes I don't feel like getting every horizontal surface covered with icing and decorations, but it's usually so fun that it's worth it. We made my fruit pizza recipe (basically a snickerdoodle crust---with cream cheese icing on top, and fresh fruit---I love it) instead of the basic sugar cookies, and it was yummy. The cookies aren't as sturdy as the traditional kind, (and maybe they spread out more, so the shapes aren't as defined---not too good for bear shapes, but fine for egg shapes) but they're SO soft and yummy (especially with fruit on them---but the chips were easier for the boys to decorate with). I like the cream cheese frosting a lot, too.





Sebby's bear (I think this is an exceptionally cute bear)

This was funny. Abe's teddy bear (Honey) has one of his eyes partially covered with fur, and if you try and push the fur out of his eye Abe rubs it back the way it was (for some reason he doesn't like Honey to have big eyes). So he made this bear like Honey, with one eye bigger than the other.

A bunny, by Seb. Kind of scary and cute at the same time.
A bunny by Abey. Nice double mouth.

Here's the recipe (lots of strawberries on sale right now! And kiwi is my favorite topping on this). Perfect for family home evening refreshments on a Spring evening. :)

Fruit Pizza

Crust:
1 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 1/4 c. flour
½ t. cream of tartar
½ t. soda
1/4 t salt
1 t. vanilla

Frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
½ c. sugar
½ t. vanilla
milk, to make it the right consistency

Topping: fresh fruit (assorted)

Cream shortening and sugar. Sift and add the next 5 ingredients to make the crust. Pat out the crust onto a round pizza pan (or cut into cookie sizes) and bake at 350 until just barely brown (8-10 min.?); let cool. Beat frosting ingredients together. Spread over crust. Decorate with any kind of fruit–strawberries, blueberries, bananas, kiwi, mandarin oranges, etc. Refrigerate after decorating.

5 comments

  1. I never make any of the recipes you post right off the bat. They roll around in my head until I HAVE to make it.
    Then (sometimes) I do.
    Like I've never made your tomato and squash pie, but it intrigues me so much that I often (today) think of it.
    I love the idea of a fruit pizza for dessert with tons of strawberries and kiwis. I have both strawberries and kiwis in the house now, so maybe tomorrow...
    I'm going to let things roll around for a while until I decide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easter must be one of your favorite holidays, am I right? Because of the bunnies?

    Last night we had a lovely family devotional, a calm, peaceful Easter Egg Hunt, then as a final Sabbath activity, we watched Wallace & Gromit & the Curse of the Were-Rabbit. Very Eastery, very rabbity. Thought of you the whole time--don't you guys like that show?

    And I'm sorry we didn't let you stay with us the other day. Did you have fun in St. George? Come again, please do, and please stay with us next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun, fun, fun! You are such a great mom. I love that fruit pizza recipe. Except mine also comes with a glaze that you put on top of the fruit which prevents the bananas from turning brown. Except that Weston doesn't like the glaze and the only time I ever make it any more is for his birthday...without the glaze. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like one, please. Just one. With fruit, please. Cream cheese. Oh, the torture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such cute stuff !!!Thats awesome n also wonderfully easy to execute !!!!
    I love edible art u can check out mine on-

    http://littlefoodjunction.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top