Well-begun is half-done

Here's a passage of scripture I read this morning:

"Your sins are forgiven you, because you have obeyed my voice in coming up hither this morning to receive counsel . . . Therefore, let your soul be at rest concerning your spiritual standing, and resist no more my voice. And arise up and be more careful henceforth in observing your vows. . . and you shall be blessed with exceedingly great blessings" (Doctrine and Covenants 108:1-3).

As far as I understand this, the man addressed here (Lyman Sherman is his name) was told that he was forgiven of his sins (which he had been worrying about), simply for doing one thing right---for taking one step, that morning, in the right direction---not for doing any huge task or for completing some long spiritual journey---but for this: going to ask God for help.

It amazes me how quick the Lord is to forgive us and encourage us. He does it at the first sign of our willingness---not making us wait for his encouragement until he's sure we're "sorry enough" (like I too often want to do to my own kids).

And my favorite thing about these verses is their tone. Obviously God has lots of different "voices" that emerge in different parts of scripture, but this "brisk yet cheerful" one used here reminds me of Mary Poppins* or something. [I don't mean to be disrespectful.] It's just so sensible and no-nonsense. (And such a nice cheery antidote to our tendency to dramaticize everything and wallow in our own self-absorbed despair: "But will I ever be good enough? But I keep failing! Ohhh, I'll never amount to anything!" etc.) To me, these verses say:

"All right, you're forgiven! Now stop moping, get over yourself, get up and do better!"
Spit-spot! Well-begun is half-done!

How inspiring!

*From the Disney movie. I haven't read the book Mary Poppins since I was little, so I can offer no opinion on that character. I seem to recall that she is meaner in the book than in the movie.

4 comments

  1. Love it. I think the comparison there is very apt.
    This is kind of how our ward here works, it's really small and most of the members are very poor and struggle with everything in their lives. The bishop is always saying how it doesn't matter where we are now, it's just if we do a little bit better we're succeeding. Even if it's just paying 1 dollar instead of 0 for a fast offering, that's 100% better!
    Anyway, I think it's valuable advice that a lot of us don't get the opportunity to think about very often.
    It's nice to hear once in a while that we just need to pick up and go from where we are and we'll be ok. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Mary Poppins analogy (seriously, "spit-spot" is the best expression, ever! I should say it more often). Thanks for sharing such an inspiring scripture thought! I needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the tone. And it's so immediate - YOU, THIS morning - so present. This is another little moment like I've had since conference - as if everything were really real -

    Oh, wait - it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I'm reading this much later than you posted it, but thanks still for the powerful insight!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top