Glory Days

Back in high school when I used to be a real runner I didn't know a ton of other people that ran (besides friends on my team, of course)---in fact, most people said things like "I could never do that" or "I don't really get why anyone likes running"---but now it seems like everyone is doing 5Ks or training for marathons (or races they erroniously CALL marathons but are actually 5Ks . . . which is annoying). And I would feel more smug about it (What a trend-setter! Ahead of my time!) except that now when my running skills might actually do me some good with my peer group, I am slower and less tough than I have ever been and I hesitate to even identify myself as "a runner" lest someone actually see me out "running" some morning and immediately have to avert their eyes so as not to embarrass either of us with that amplification of the truth. Which is part of the reason I go while it's still dark outside. (The other part being, when else can I go? I can't run with my kids in strollers anymore, Sam leaves for work early, I hate going after dinner, etc etc. So 5:30 a.m. it is.)

Still, I have this feeling deep down that I am still a "real" runner, more so than all these Johnny-come-lately's I see flitting around in their cute little yoga pants, and I always think snobbily to myself "Ha, I bet SHE'S never run up Timpanogos" or "Hmph, I'd like to see HER out in sub-zero weather" as if I am entitled because of my past glory (can I call it glory? Even if I was a pretty average runner who never made it onto a college team or anything, and one of my proudest moments was coming in first in the "slow heat" [yes, they call it that] of the mile at some Region race?) to think such things. I think that makes me kind of a hypocrite. (I mean, I couldn't run up Timp anymore either. Nor do I often go outside in sub-zero weather. Nor have I run a race for years and years, unless you count Beth's sparsely attended Ward 5K where we came in like 2nd and 3rd [Beth beating me, of course] out of 5 people, or something.)

So I'm wondering, how long are you allowed to keep getting mileage (ha, mileage? Get it? For a runner, you know?) out of your past? Just between you and me, I'm only running (lumbering?) about 2 miles at a time these days, and honestly if you saw how slow I am you would wonder if you should call it "jogging" (answer: NO!!) or even "speed-walking." And I do lift weights, but it's only because we have a community center where I can do it free and if I go early enough in the morning there are no tiny, aggressively fit women in the weight room, but only a bunch of over-testosteroned men trying to seem casual in their desperate, grunting quests to outdo each other, who smile over at me sympathetically every time I have to spend 5 minutes peering at the instructions on how to work the dang machines.

But I used to be good, or, you know, pretty good. I ran two marathons fairly fast, qualified for the Boston Marathon (never ran it, though) and I ran with a really fast lady for a while in a half-marathon and actually had people yelling my time at me enthusiastically because I was close to the front of the pack (I fell back later, of course, but my time was 1 hr. 26 min., which is pretty fast). (But that was nearly 10 years ago. Good heavens! Ten years! If that thing about how your cells all replace themselves every 7 years is true, then I don't even have ONE CELL that's capable of such a thing anymore.) Anyway, I'm not as consistent as I used to be, but I do still run most days, even in the dark and in bad weather and in ugly clothes, which counts for something, don't you think? And I like to think I have the right mindset for a runner. You know, since I ran cross-country and all.

Even so, though---all these cute girls who have become "runners" since high school are, at this moment, probably faster than me. And better at it. And tinier. And lots of them have kids too, so I can't blame it on that. So can I still consider them presumptuous upstarts who don't have a deep and true knowledge of what it means to be a real runner? (Internally, of course. It's all internally. I never SAY anything!) Or is it time for me to give it up, relinquish my old identity, and admit that I'm no longer any more of a real runner than any other of the middle-aged mom-ish looking ladies speedwalking with 5-lbs weights around the track and taking "stretching" breaks every couple laps? Is there a statute of limitations on how long you can keep being snooty about such things?

8 comments

  1. Dang. I say if you've EVER run a marathon, let alone two, AND qualified for Boston, you are a RUNNER. Marathons count for life. I've heard so many people say they want to do a marathon just to be able to say they've done it.
    Why not just call yourself a runner and forget how you compare with everyone else? Or else compare yourself with people like me who have only ever been able to eek out 2 or 3 miles and would never dream of running anything more than a 5K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. I'm not sure I want you running in the dark. Not that I don't TRUST you, or anything - but . . .

    And honey-chile, you may brag to ME bout being a real runner, and I will give you deep respect, because I am only a treadmill plodder, and am a-mazed that anybody does what you do, or have done, or did do, or will do again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last time I ran was for a bus in Hungary. 5 years ago. I think being a runner means that you like it. Which you do.

    And it seems like these days tiny cute Mormon women are doing everything and making it look adorable. It's horrible isn't it? I have to keep giving myself pep talks about how mediocrity is okay. It is, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel this same way about music--like a has been. Like what comes the point where you have to stop scoffing (mentally) of course at the newcomers and posers? Is it when you never play your music anymore? Probably. At least you're still running!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah. I cry sometimes, thinking about how I've lost that bit of my identity (the runner part). I'm kind of in an identity crisis overall, I guess. What am I? I run about once a month and I'm not really "good" at anything I do all day: my house is ALWAYS a mess, I yell at my kids, I read my scriptures about twice a week, and I eat cake like three times a week, and never leave my house.
    I wish I were a runner. But I won't ever get up at 5:00 a.m. to run and I'm too timid to lash myself to the regimen it would take to train for some cool race. So I don't think I am one. But then, what am I?
    Oh, was this post about you?
    I'm sorry to say I think it's time to relinquish the running snobbery. But you could just transfer your snobbery to one of your other talents: cooking, writing, concert-paino-playing, star wars nerdery, and the like. Also, there's always butcher paper flower arranging.
    tromi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel torn because I understand so much of where Beth is coming from (not feeling good at anything and wondering who you are now) but I must disagree with her on ONE VITAL POINT: you are a runner. And so is Beth. It is part of who you are, part of what brings you joy, a talent that may have gotten a bit dusty but is still yours because you EARNED it. I am fully hoping that my resurrected self looks like how I *feel* deep down and, should I be so lucky, you will most definitely be a runner. Those Mormon running mommies are like little jackrabbits. Quick, I suppose, and fluffy-cute but you're a gazelle. (Please, PLEASE, take this the right way.) Lean, sleek, quick and serene.

    Also, what is UP with those nasty little perfect ladies? We need to stop looking at them! When I find myself slipping into the awful trap of comparing myself to someone who always manages to have a clean house and styled hair (ha! when was the last time I did that?) and exercises regularly, etc. I just remind myself that I am a WOMAN and that is a title you earn through surviving the hard stuff. At almost 30 you can bet there has been some hard stuff. Looking good is nice, I suppose, but knowing that you are part of the sisterhood that has bound humanity together despite wretched obstacles . . . now that's worth more.

    End of tirade.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the perfect post!

    I'm a "ranner". It's not too late! I hear 30's is when most people peak. Maybe we can still be runner's. Ever heard of Kara Goucher? I wish!

    1:26! That's somkin' fast! Anyone who runs their years on their birthday, like that's a birthday present, is and forever will be a runner!

    Thanks for inspiring me. I'm going for a run in the morning! Meet in missouri at 5am, I can show you my favorite loop! Call me for directions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just had Brian read this post. We laughed...a lot. Here's Brian.

    Hey Marilyn! You and I must be living parallel fitness lives the main difference being, I have not attempted to run up anything or anywhere for years. Unless you count "racing" my 5 year old in the back yard (which I do count. Proudly). Thank you for the good laugh. I hope things are well with you and your little family.
    Brian

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top