"A breath of air"

(Did you know you can get a post to publish in the future? If you're reading this, I have successfully done so, since I should be in the car on the way to Arizona at this very moment. Hooray!)

I had occasion to do a research project last weekend, and souffles being something I had never made or even eaten before, and as I'd heard them referred to as "the perfect end to a romantic Valentine's Day dinner," I chose them as my subject.

Souffle, you know, is from the French "to blow up" or "to puff up"---more poetically translated as "a breath of air." They are typically seen as quite difficult to make (although most recipes I found refuted this). After presenting my findings, Sam and tried making some.

The verdict? Quite good, a little fussy (beating egg whites into a meringue---not difficult, but must be watched carefully), very pretty---but with all that perhaps not my favorite "fancy" dessert. The prize for that still remains with Volcano Cakes (as we call them---more apt than "lava cakes," in our opinion), which are surprisingly similar to these souffles, but (I think) even yummier.

If you would like to try making a souffle, a recipe is here. However, if you really want to impress your Valentine at the end of a Romantic Dinner, I highly recommend making the volcano cakes instead. For which I will post a recipe tomorrow.

4 comments

  1. I love lava cake. love it. one of the best days of my life was when the waiter at chili's said he'd give me a free one since I graduated from BYU that day. bless him.

    oh, and another thing! are you really going to post the recipe tomorrow or did you already post it and it will be automatically posted? oh you're tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know they're not all they're cracked/puffed up to be (me, chuckling silently)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really really hope you're posting the lava cake recipe tomorrow, as promised. Or that you posted it in the past for the future. Because Jacob is suddenly extremely interested in Volcanoes--we watched them erupt today on YouTube for "school," and he calls Gabe "little Mr. Bolcano." And especially because his birthday is on Sunday, and he said he wanted a volcano cake, and I, being the unexperienced chef that I am, didn't even know there was such a thing until your post (maybe I need to go to chili's more? :) ). So are they hard to make? I mean for non-bakers like myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think maybe I'll refer my valentine to this post, as I have given up cooking, and should give up eating, but will CERTAINLY make an exception for Valentine's day should anybody happen to love me enough to beat egg whites up into meringue. Volcano cakes at Chili's - aren't they the ones that are like 1500 calories?

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top