Language, language!

Here's something that made me laugh today: this model of chair is called the "Lazy Bastard" (don't mind my language; as an honorary member of the Lind and Meridee Williams family I have it on good authority that "bastard" is not a swear word; as is also the case with "bastardize," one of the great English words, really).

Moving on: Don't you just love YouTube? It helps one round out one's cultural education (especially someone like me who never had a TV) so nicely.

There are lots of things I've never seen; for example I had never seen an ABBA music video before last night, when we found a bunch of them on YouTube. And wow! Amazing! I mean, just amazing: the outfits, the facial expressions, the swaying trying to pass itself off as dancing. I loved it.

Another example: "Lord of the Dance." Did you KNOW it was so nerdy? I'd never seen it, so I never knew. The main guy! He has his shirt off and he waves his arms around trying to look virile while he tap dances with his feet. I mean, you couldn't make this stuff up!

Then there's "A Bit of Fry and Laurie" (which one of you linked me to one time, but, argh, who was it? Who?! Maybe Melissa?) which I just adore, especially the following: [sorry for the repeat, those who have already seen this, but honestly, isn't it worth another viewing?]


"Tricky Linguistics"


Just wonderful. And here are two others for all you for whom language is your mother, your father, your husband, your brother, your sister, your mistress, your whore, your checkout girl, and so forth (you know who you are---and now we've come full circle, Williams family):

"The Letter"

"Later that same Wednesday"

Have a lovely Groundhog Day, my friends. Will you be doing anything to celebrate? Groundhog-shaped cupcakes, perhaps? Half of them sun-colored and the other half shadowed? From what I hear, there's no occasion too big or too small for a cupcake!

3 comments

  1. I have enjoyed that Fry & Laurie bit in the past, so I really hope that link came from me. I'm just not sure.

    I'm so glad to hear you don't consider the word "bastard" a swear word either. Vindication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know Jeeves & Wooster got together before . . .Jeeves and Wooster! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want me a Bastard chair. Looks damn comfortable.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top