Lemon chiffon cake with lemon curd


This is significant only because I've never made a layer cake before (and maybe this doesn't count as one either because I just baked it in one pan, and then cut it and put it back together)---and also because it uses that yummy
lemon curd. But really it would taste just as good to put cake pieces in a bowl and spoon the raspberries and the curd and the lemon cream over the top.


My sister-in-law Allison and I have been talking about chiffon cakes recently (Philip loves them), and originally we were thinking they'd be a good combination with the yolks-only lemon curd recipes, because the chiffon cakes use only the egg whites. Or so we thought we remembered, but when I got out my recipes, it turns out that the cakes use the whole egg (separated), so I went ahead and used the easier whole-egg lemon curd as well.

Anyway, I have a whole packet of recipes for different kinds of chiffon cakes---orange, chocolate, lemon, pineapple, coconut, etc.---and they're not too tricky. They do call for cake flour, and you have to beat the egg whites separately, but that's all there is to it. (Oh, and you have to borrow your Mom's angel-food cake pan, if you don't have one yourself.) But I love how light and sponge-y they are, and how you can just eat them with your hands (if you haven't made them into a layer cake, that is).

So here's the recipe.

Lemon Chiffon Cake

2 1/4 c. cake flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
3 tsp. baking powder (this is 1 T.; I don't know why it doesn't say that)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. oil
1 Tbsp. lemon juice, plus cold water to measure 3/4 cup
2 tsp. grated lemon peel
2 tsp. vanilla
7 egg yolks
7 egg whites
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

Mix the dry ingredients; then beat in oil, lemon juice-water mixture, lemon peel, vanilla, and egg yolks until smooth. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Gradually and gently fold the egg white mixture into the other mixture with a rubber spatula until blended. Pour into ungreased angel-food cake pan (tube pan). Bake at 325 until top springs back when touched lightly, about 1 1/4 hrs. Invert pan on heatproof funnel and let hang until cake is completely cool. Remove from pan, slice into thirds (I used dental floss to slice) and spread with lemon curd between layers. Frost with lemon cream.

Lemon Curd
(recipe also
here) (I doubled this to frost the cake)
1/2 c. lemon juice
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1/2 c. sugar
3 large eggs
6 Tbsps butter, cut into bits
Whisk together first 4 ingredients in saucepan. Stir in butter and cook over med-low heat, whisking frequently, until curd is thick enough to hold marks of whisk, about 6 minutes. Chill for at least an hour (with plastic wrap right against the surface so it won't form a skin).

Lemon Cream
Whip some cream, add pwd. sugar to taste, stir in some of the lemon curd to taste (I used maybe 1/2 c. or so of curd?)

3 comments

  1. Girl, you're killing me.

    What about orange curd, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm. I bet orange curd would be good! I've heard of other kinds of citrus curd (grapefruit and lime?) and even mango curd, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. I hereby volunteer myself as your taste-tester.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top