Synchronized bobbing

This morning I was swimming laps at the pool and there was one other guy swimming laps in the next lane, facing towards me. We were both doing breaststroke and somehow we got going in the same rhythm, so we were coming towards each other and both bobbing our heads up for air simultaneously.

It was embarrassing. Everytime I popped my head up, there he was, popping his head up. Finally I stayed under for an extra stroke so we'd be offset from each other. It seemed better somehow. Is this some sort of swimmers' etiquette I never knew about?

3 comments

  1. I would hate that. It's just weird--I have a big personal space thing with strangers, and it includes things like eye contact!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just impressed you exercise. I keep meaning to do that . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly expected you to say that he had done the same thing, so you both STILL came up at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top