He has not relinquished his parental interest

 This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Saturday Morning Session of the April 1997 Conference.
This week, I liked Sister Patricia P. Pinegar's talk about caring for the souls of children. Here are a couple parts that stood out to me:
To all fathers and mothers of the Church, tell your children that you love them and that you are so happy to have them in your family. Prepare yourselves spiritually to receive the guidance through the Holy Ghost. As you prayerfully study the scriptures and “The Family: A Proclamation to the World,” listen and respond to the promptings of the Spirit. Be aware of Satan’s influences. Where do the feelings come from that make you feel that your efforts in the home are not fulfilling or important? Where do the feelings come from that make you feel unappreciated? Rejoice in this preparation for godhood. Rejoice in the opportunity to teach your children the truths of the kingdom, and help them experience the peace and joy that comes from following these truths.
I could do more of that telling the children "we are so happy to have them in our family." I really am! We couldn't do without a single one of them! And I want them to see me "rejoicing" in parenthood at least most of the time!

I also liked the reminder that while we may at times truly be "unappreciated" (I suppose every parent is at some point!), it's Satan that wants us to dwell on FEELING that way. I've found that no good comes of me internally cataloguing the wrongs or injustices done me. I'm working on stopping those self-pitying thoughts the moment I have them, because I can feel that they aren't from the Spirit!

Sister Pinegar also quoted President Hinckley as saying:
“Never forget that these little ones are the sons and daughters of God and that yours is a custodial relationship to them, that He was a parent before you were parents and that He has not relinquished His parental rights or interest in these little ones. Now, love them, take care of them. Fathers, control your tempers, now and in all the years to come. Mothers, control your voices, keep them down. Rear your children in love, in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. Take care of your little ones, welcome them into your homes and nurture and love them with all of your hearts.”
I was told something much like this ("Heavenly Father had these children before you did, and they're his as much as yours") in a blessing not too long ago, and it was so comforting to me! In the quote above it could be taken as a sort of warning, like "watch what you do with the children you've had entrusted to you, because God will hold you accountable!" But I think in reality it's much more merciful—more like, "You don't have to do all this alone. You don't have to worry alone. Heavenly Father has these children under HIS care and that can make up for all the mistakes you make along the way."

5 comments

  1. Yes! I see it much more as a comfort as well! And I love the times when I see parenting as described in this post rather than listen to that discouraging influence. It makes me feel so joyful and I need to strive to view it correctly more constantly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And why am I now anonymous? I don’t know. I guess it’s more fun that way! You not knowing and all. šŸ˜„

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, how exciting! An anonymous friend...who sounds much like a non-anonymous friend…šŸ˜„

      Delete
  3. Who sounds much like a non anonymous friend šŸ˜‚.

    Well. It appears my phone has restored my identity anyway now. So šŸ¤·šŸ¼‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might also have done this … šŸ«„šŸ«”šŸ˜¶‍šŸŒ«️

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top