This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Sunday Morning Session of the October 2014 Conference.
I liked this simple quote from President Eyring in this week's Conference:
Don’t take lightly the feeling you get of love for the prophet of God. Wherever I go in the Church, whoever the prophet is at the time, members will ask, “When you get back to Church headquarters, will you please tell the prophet how much we love him?”That is far more than hero worship or the feelings we sometimes have of admiring heroic figures. It is a gift from God. With it you will receive more easily the gift of confirming revelation when he speaks in his office as the Lord’s prophet. The love you feel is the love the Lord has for whoever is His spokesman.
Since I've been an adult at least, I think I have always grown to love the current prophet. I haven't really known how I get to that point—maybe just by hearing so many of his talks over the years, and learning little details about him. But I didn't realize that feeling of love was a gift from God. And I didn't know that "with it you will receive more easily the gift of confirming revelation when he speaks." I love to know that! And it makes sense. You learn to listen to your parents because you love your parents. You give a teacher's words more weight when you love that teacher. You trust counsel from a friend when you love that friend. So of course love can help us listen to the prophet better—but I think it's cool that with the prophet, it's more than just "I respect this guy; I'll hear him out"—it's actually a spiritual gift that can protect us from Satan's traps. And it's something we can strive for even when it doesn't come as naturally:
That [feeling of love] is not easy to feel continually because the Lord often asks His prophets to give counsel that is hard for people to accept. The enemy of our souls will try to lead us to take offense and to doubt the prophet’s calling from God.I have seen how the Holy Ghost can touch a softened heart to protect a humble disciple of Jesus Christ with confirming revelation.
Enemies of the church (and even some people within the church) would twist this idea into "never question what the prophet says," and they'd scoff at it. But that's not what President Eyring says at all. He says that when we start from a position of "I love the prophet, and He is God's spokesman," it actually gives us more clarity and more power to get revelation to discern for ourselves whether what he is saying is true. And in a way, that's how it works even with Heavenly Father Himself! When we love Him, and react to challenges or commandments as if they are coming from someone we love, it helps us see things as they really are. It helps us keep responding with trust when we're confused. It helps us be a little more patient with apparent unfairness. Our love for God is truly a gift for us! And so is our love for God's prophet.
%20copy.jpg)
No comments