Pioneer Day, &c.

We often go to my mom's ward's Pioneer Day party on July 24th. They've been doing it since before I was born—homemade ice cream and a pioneer parade for the Primary children. I used to love it so much when I was little. But they didn't have it this year, so we had our own very modest pioneer day celebrations. We made homemade root beer, and homemade bread and butter, and our own homemade ice cream. All delicious!
The girls dressed up in their pioneer(ish) dresses, including the dolls.
I like to see Rosie out again!
Watching the dry ice in the root bett
It was such a nice day, and we were all happy because it was stormy and rainy after such a hot week! We played some ladder toss in the backyard.
(Clementine let Milky toss some balls too)
The girls tried to remember how to whistle with blades of grass (not sure what I'm doing back there…throwing something up in the air and catching it, perhaps?)…
And read their book to each other…
And the little boys played "storm chaser" as we watched the clouds swirl around.
They really did seem to be swirling around for a while! It was cool! Can you see it?
Like this
And then it finally rained, and we loved being outside and watching it.
More than just watching it. The children went out and…well…I can't think of a better word than "cavorted."
My phone camera made them look so weird in this picture. Like wraiths.

———

Some other happenings around the time of Pioneer Day:
Ziggy caught another sign-making fever and covered our door with these "no smoking" signs, reminiscent of the ones he often made in Quebec (but far less necessary here, really).
Dire warnings
Another pretty storm cloud
A feast of dips for a night Abe was coming over to eat with us (he loves dips)
The girls got out their Legos and made the cutest houses. It's been a long time since they've played with Legos!
Our family (some of them), drawn by Clementine. Seb does not have a goatee—he has a piece of pizza in his mouth. Kind of greedy of him to be eating one and holding one at the same time!
Some tiny drawings Clementine made for Malachi
Malachi's bally leopard enjoying some time in the girls' room with Squiddy and Djungelskog
Super cute pillbug drawings by Gus
And an equally cute one by Clementine
Our neighbors painted their house pink! I love it. Someday we'll paint ours yellow, I hope.
Caw Kings
A way to sit?
Pinafore girl
Getting ice cream for Family Home Evening to cheer us up from missing Malachi so much (we sent him this picture)
At the end of our street is a baseball stadium, and outside it is this fun little play area.
It reminds me of Quebec for some reason, sitting outside in the warm evening with people around and music playing.
I got this griddle for Sam and he's been making the BEST smashburgers on it. We've been moved up to a new Hamburger Bracket and I don't know if we can ever go back!
Our nice neighbors brought over some ladybugs for the kids to see.
Domino track
Zig loves to surprise us by making his specialty for lunch…graham crackers with peanut butter and (his secret ingredient) a sprinkle of cinnamon!
Daisy made me another blanket! Grassy. I love him.
He looks nice with Wheaty, doesn't he? (and baby Wheaty of course)
All four of Daisy's blankets. You, too, could be the owner of one of these if you visit her Etsy shop! Actually, I think her Etsy shop has lapsed due to lack of public interest. Too bad—you, too, could have been an owner of one!
Enjoying more rain showers
Rain dancers

No comments

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top