Starting ballet, and a few other things

Summer came to a close sooner than anyone wanted (actually not true; Junie had read every book in the house and was bored out of her mind and couldn't WAIT to start seminary again, but it was sooner than I wanted!). We had kind of a "soft start" with new ballet classes starting in early August, math classes and seminary in mid-August, and piano lessons (with a new teacher!) at the end of August. I guess it was good because we could get ourselves on schedule bit by bit.
Because the ballet teacher said she would put the classes right next to my big girls' classes, I let Clementine try out ballet this year. She loves it, of course (though she keeps saying "When do I get to do real ballet?"—meaning dance on a stage in a costume) and is so cute hopping around, leaping, and doing pliés with a look of serious concentration on her face.
Got a used bookshelf on KSL classifieds and Clementine and Gus were pretty excited about it (especially since I had taken all the books away in a fit of desperation after they were ALWAYS on the floor, so they hadn't anything to read for a few months—which wasn't really the consequence I wanted, but once I'd made the dire threat I was committed to it!).

SO FAR the kids have mended their ways and kept the books on the shelf quite well, but I'm under no illusion that this improvement will be permanent…
We were excited to see Sam's art on the title page of the "Art and Making of Swapped" book
Wispy sunset


Visit to the aquarium…with Daisy's tiny penguin!
There's a penguin baby right now, and the mama fed it just like you see mamas feeding their babies in books! The baby reached into her beak for food very aggressively and with quite a sense of entitlement, I must say. Poor mama.
The kids fighting over who would get to stand in front of the wings next (and I don't even know what these wings are; why are they at the aquarium? Aquarium animals aren't winged!) produced one of my favorite pictures of all time:
This is a look that Ziggy adopts when he's mad and wants to show it. It is hilariously sneering and sulking at the same time. It's just so…perfectly grumpy…and I've never managed to capture it with such accuracy before. Oh, Zig.
Daisy, wearing her new "Daisy's hot cocoa shop" shirt (she grew out of her old one!)
Inspired by the preceding aquarium visit, this picture of cute penguins jumping into the water (by Gus)
Police vehicles
Shopping with Gus—tiny carts in Caw Colors!
Big tomatoes from the farmer's market (I don't have any of my own tomatoes right now, sadly, but they're SO GOOD this time of year! We've been eating them by the bushel on English muffins with goat cheese. And homemade smashburgers. YUM)
Big dog at Costco
Penguin picture for "Daiy"
Teddy marveling at some skulls and other bones they got to learn about for a Primary Activity
Reading Lesson (Gus really is basically done with the book and can read already, but wants to do these last few lessons anyway, and it's taking a long time because we always forget)
Fun little visit with Rachael and James (Sam and I are both closing our eyes in delight, apparently)
Clementine and Gus sleeping on the new rug Sam got for his BYU office and was trying to get the wrinkles out of
Daisy, Junie, and Goldie's tiny houses looking all lit-up and cozy on their bookshelf

No comments

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top