In the moments we need God

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Priesthood Session of the April 2015 Conference
Sometimes I think about, when I pray in the mornings, the times I've been completely blindsided by a trial or a problem—and how when I said my morning prayer on those mornings, I had no idea what challenges would be coming so soon. It makes me almost afraid, as I pray for strength to deal with whatever happens today, to think about that. But it doesn't do any good to be afraid. Those times come for everyone! It's what President Eyring talked about in this conference session: the need to be spiritually fortified and ready always, because we never know when those spiritual reserves will be called upon!
All of us must speak and act in the name of God in moments when our unaided judgment will not be enough without inspiration. Those moments can come upon us when there is not time to make preparation. That has happened to me often.
It's not that I've had so many huge challenges in my life, but that feeling when they come of "Oh no! Not now! I didn't want to have to face this!" is so familiar. And I suppose it's something God wants us to learn, something we need to learn—that even though we may never feel fully "ready" to do something really hard, we can do those hard things by relying on Him. One way President Eyring recommends that we be ready for hard challenges is to be constantly praying and working to have the Spirit with us. I don't think I understood the idea of "pray always" when I was younger. (And I probably still don't, fully.) But since I've become a mother and grown more deeply into the gospel, I've realized how much more often I need to send up little silent prayers for help. I've realized how much more confident I feel, when unexpected challenges do crop up, knowing that I was just recently asking the Lord for strength. President Eyring says:
It is easier to get the proper feeling of reverence when you are kneeling or bowing your head, but it is possible to feel that you are approaching your Heavenly Father in less formal and even in silent prayer, as you will often need to do in your priesthood service. There will be noise and people around you most of your waking day. God hears your silent prayers, but you may have to learn to shut out the distractions because the moment you need the connection with God may not come in quiet times.
I'm still growing into this principle, but I already see its truth. We really do need the Spirit always to be with us. We really do need to pray always. We really do need to walk with Jesus. We just have too many challenges not to! And if that seems scary…well, it's not nearly as scary as the thought of facing those times without feeling that Jesus and the Spirit will be us, helping us!

No comments

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top