Elevating

Last week I had the unusual responsibility of spending five hours taking passengers up and down in an elevator. I kept wishing my boys were there to help me (they would have loved it) but other than that I really enjoyed myself, not least by finding myself able to quite cheerfully endure 5 straight hours on my feet (something I was by no means sure I'd be capable of).

It was basically five hours of extreme social intimacy interspersed with brief periods of total privacy. An odd combination, but strangely exhilarating: Smiling and making (very) small conversation. Then total quiet, and the types of grimaces and leg- and toe-stretching exercises one only does while alone and wearing dressy shoes. Then smiling and crowding and friendliness again. I felt like I was experiencing several months of human contact in the space of a few hours: not a bad feeling, for someone who doesn't get an excessive amount of human contact in the normal course of things.

5 comments

  1. I'm sorry, WHY are you moonlighting as an elevator operator? Aren't those all self-service now?

    wv: sneel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! I meant to say, we were helping at the Temple Open House. Sorry to be so cryptic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I can't believe you survived, standing, in that small space in dress shoes in your 'delicate' condition. (What is delicate about it at this point? I defer to tradition here...) We helped out with the radio communication here. And, I was a bus tour guide. I think Philip was also some kind of usher/security guy inside. I had a similar experience with the pleasantries. I also had a little fact sheet I was supposed to read, and the opportunity to answer a few questions. My smiling muscles were pretty tired by the end of it all. It made me realize that I probably could never have a job where that kind of skill (and I do think it is a skill) is required.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that truly is a strange and singular opportunity these days. It would be weird. I'm not very good with that kind of short intimate contact! It would make me extra shy I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to say, "And we were doing this because . . ." but I see that you already answered that. Well, that's kind of cool. I'd always rather have a job at something like that, so I feel part of it, even though I'm just a little part. But I'd seriously be wearing flats. . .

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top