An accomplishment

We had a joint piano recital with some cousins last week, which served as Abe's debut into the performing world. (He played beautifully.) It was a great excuse for me to get something ready to perform, as well---an opportunity that comes (or at least that I take) quite rarely in the last several years! I keep wanting to get practicing more and prepare for a real recital of my own, but it's so hard to find the time---or the energy---so it keeps getting put on the back burner.

Anyway, several months ago Sam informed me that he would be in charge of changing diapers, supervising tooth-brushing, reading stories, etc. every night so that I could have a chance to practice the piano uninterrupted. So every evening, the boys all head upstairs and get ready for bed while I have the living room to myself---no one trying to "help" me with the pedals or pull my music off the bookshelf, etc. It has been so great--just having the ability to get consistent practice in, even on the nights that it's only for a half hour or so. Even though I'm making such slow progress, it feels great to be making progress at all!! And it feels great to have my fingers working again---not so clumsy and sluggish as they have felt before when I try to play music I haven't played for so long. (About the only part of me that isn't currently clumsy and sluggish, I might add.) I was able to get one piece memorized and polished to play at our little recital (it was Ritual Fire Dance, by de Falla, if you're curious---a loud and furious piece, and good thing I like it because I now hear it being hummed by the boys at all hours) and it felt like quite an accomplishment.

I guess it reminds me again of what I wrote about here and here: that even slow improvement, working little by little, is fulfilling and enjoyable. I'm SO glad Sam is so willing to help me and listen to me and prod me occasionally so I can do it. And maybe one of these years I'll even be able to get a group of pieces all ready at once for a whole recital. (Expect some serious pianistic regression come mid-August or so, though.)

4 comments

  1. Ooooooohhh!! Plan a recital someday and schedule it for when I'm in Provo! :) I'd love to hear you.

    You've inspired me . . . I need to be better at practicing. Maybe I'll have Jer read your post -- Sam might inspire him to set aside some practice time for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of Abe. Something about it makes me feel like the world is headed in the right direction. Any time you need an audience, I'd be happy to oblige.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've lost all my instrumental music. Can't play piano. Can't play flute. Can't play guitar. I remember so well that look on Abe's face as he focuses on fingers that aren't functioning on auto-pilot yet. I remember that feeling, having to make each one work. I'm back to that now. But I don't have time to fix it - too many other things to learn. I'm hoping eternity is for real.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I wish my mom would have made me practice. That is one thing my kids may dislike me for. I will MAKE them practice! That is so great that you are able to use that talent.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top