Garage

We've been trying to get various things ready for when the baby comes---including buying a minivan (from the nicest family---thank you KSL.com---and I love it!) and becoming, for the first time, a 2-car family! It feels very odd (but nice, of course) to not have to arrange our schedules around which day of the week we can be mobile.

This also means we actually have to fit two cars in our 2-car garage. So, we've spent the past week sanding, priming, painting, and putting up shelves, etc. to see if it was indeed possible to fit two cars and a bunch of other garage stuff in there together. This is the garage last year (after I cleaned it, mind you):
I would have been content to leave it unpainted and just install shelves, but Sam maintained that painting would be better (and he was right, of course).


Abe was a big help, which was great. I love having kids old enough to work with us!

Blue! Pretty.

And here is the final result! It's amazing how much the place can open up when you can utilize the wall space. I especially like the high un-boy-reachable cabinet on the back wall, for weed killer/bug killer/dangerous chemicals (they made one of the cabinets the wrong size when they built the house, so this has been sitting in our garage since we moved in) and the pegboard (what's a tool bench without pegboard?). I like the bike pulleys, too---they're amazingly easy to use.


And voila! Both cars fit. Hooray!

P.S. "So you've been doing some nesting," said my midwife. But I don't know. I don't think you can really call it "nesting" if it's in the garage. The baby isn't getting any special treatment yet for its room (a.k.a. the bassinet in the bathroom---for the first little while anyway), poor thing.

6 comments

  1. I never thought I would use the word "beautiful" in describing a garage but that is exactly the word that came to mind when I saw yours.

    Our garage is in dire need of something like that. You've inspired me. Really you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mar- Megs' garage also stinks like cat throw-up. She has a lot to work on in there.
    I forgot that your bassinet is in the bathroom. What about when Seb needs to tinkle in the night?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fabulous! I need to learn about where you got some of those hooks, and the bike pulleys. I'm afraid to put my bike up on the hook Philip installed, and even more afraid of getting it down. Love your van--all you need is the dangling tennis ball to tell you how far forward to park (Philip's specialty). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Nesting" for me always consisted of making a list of things I wanted the fairies to do in the night. No actually getting-off-my-behind actually happened.

    I love that you painted your garage an actual color. It looks great!

    P.S. PLEASE tell me you're delivering in a hospital and not at home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay. I'm lying on me back, kicking heels laughing. At your before picture. Oh, darlin; - come and look at OUR garage - we can keep the Suburban in it, but only with a whip and a chair. We've got stacks of kilns and mower attachments and plastic things full of wheat and pop bottles full of water, not to mention the furniture we bought back when daughter number two was engaged and actually intending to move out (still here). I couldn't even get to the walls now to find a rake if my life depended on it.

    Such is life. I'm not showing my husband these pictures. He'd cry.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top