Hallowe'e'e'e'een

Halloween was fun! And many costumes were worn and discarded and left out in multiple pieces on the floor for me to clean up later! But I should be grateful, I suppose, that all the children are pretty happy to just wear whatever costumes they can find, and no one is asking me at 11 pm the night before to sew a Renaissance Peasant Gown or something.

This gorilla suit was, obviously, not Ziggy's real costume, since it's about 8 sizes too big for him. But that didn't stop him from wearing it around the house for a few hours! It was kind of alarming to see this tiny scary gorilla bumbling around. 

But he looked pretty friendly, once you got his head off.
Clementine was a Candy Corn. (I don't know where we got this costume. It was mysteriously in the box of baby clothes.) She might have been cutest at this moment where she was a very MAD candy corn. And why was she mad? Because Malachi had just removed a little game piece from her mouth. He squeezed her cheeks and out it popped, and she gave him this look. Then he squeezed again, and out popped another one! Goodness.
She cheered up somewhat when this floppy guy held her.
 
Daisy made up her own BYU cheerleader costume. She doesn't go trick-or-treating herself anymore, but she likes to take the little kids out. This was just her interim costume, until we got the other one (below) made!
Junie couldn't make up her mind either, so she split time between two costumes. This cute witch was the first of them.
And then the two of them also made themselves sandwich costumes. Daisy was peanut butter and Junie was jelly. So cute! All I did was buy them pink cellophane.
Goldie was the Floppy Guy she got for her birthday.
Flop!
Teddy was this cute little teddy bear for awhile. Oh, he reminds me of Abe!
(That's Abe.)
(Teddy again)
He was also an astronaut like last year. The costume is getting a little small, but it still works!
Ziggy dressed up as an Amazon man with the Amazon vest Daisy made him for his birthday. But then he wanted this fireman hat on too. He thought it was a Policeman hat, and no one had the heart to tell him otherwise. (He is very into policemen these days!)
In his delivery truck (it has one UPS side and one Amazon side)
Gus was, of course, going to be a Caw. Only…when he went to get dressed up after his nap, we couldn't find the Caw! It was a great mystery. We finally talked him into this panda bear, which was appropriately squishy.
He talked to me of serious and earnest things as I took his picture. 
Perhaps the cutest panda ever! And I've seen many of them in my day!
But then…someone found the Caw costume! (In the car. Why? Why?) So of course he had to change into that, and get his picture taken again.
He has that same little watchful expression Malachi used to get when he was pretending to be a Birdie.
You can't help but want to squish him!
And then there was Little Miss Clemmy-Corn. We put her in a bucket, because that's where candy corns are supposed to go!
She also walked around on her own two feet, which is not what candy corns are supposed to do!
Off go the trick-or-treaters!
We had an extra fun time on Halloween night this year, because we brought our fire pit out front and sat around it and talked to all the trick-or-treaters and their families. (We had hundreds! At least 450, because we gave out one piece candy per child and that's how many candies there were. There were a bunch of fun themed houses in our area and I think people came from far and wide to see them.) We made huge vats of hot chocolate and gave that out too. It was really fun, even though I had a pressure cooker incident at the beginning of the evening and boiling cocoa exploded over me—hands, arms, stomach, feet. Most of me was covered with clothes, which protected me a bit. But I got burned so badly on my hand I was terrified about how serious it might be. I kept ice on it all evening and managed the pain, but when I went to bed it hurt so bad I thought I'd never sleep. But I did sleep. And when I woke up, my hand was better. As if it had never been burned—I couldn't even tell which hand it was. It was an amazing miracle—one I don't know why I was blessed with. I am just grateful.
Anyway, we had a good and memorable evening talking to people and enjoying the holiday feeling in the neighborhood. The hot chocolate was good (I bore it no ill-will, in spite of my poor burned hand), the fire kept us warm, and the night was really pretty mild too. And as often happens, the next day brought really cold temperatures and rain, so we were happy it had held off for the festivities, at least!

2 comments

  1. This sounds just like us. Everyone just content to pull or pull together whatever costumes can be found in the costume box—and often opting for more than one over the holiday.

    Grumpy candy corn is my favorite. But I would have loved to have seen that floppy guy on my doorstep too!

    And what a fun neighborhood! And how great to sit out with cocoa and a fire pit as neighbors came by. We honestly only get about six total doorbell rings. And once we are in Logan I’m sure we will have none. So I will likely never experience this festive fun part of Halloween trick or treaters left and right! (Though it was like that in our WA neighborhood, so I had some few years of it!)

    And the pressure cooker! These things scare me! That was Megan’s accident awhile back as well! But then … you both witnessed miracles so maybe pressure cookers come with some built in miracle insurance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh, the pressure cooker! I love mine and use it CONSTANTLY. And I've never been scared of them because they have all these safeguards, I know how to use it, blah blah blah. And it was so weird this time. The pressure wasn't even ON! I wasn't cooking under pressure, just using the pot to heat cocoa. But somehow...the steam built up the pressure just enough NOT to lock...but to be boiling...and something about the milk in the cocoa...honestly I don't even KNOW how it happened! But it was scary! And now I AM a little scared of them! Ha!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top