Sturdy

I've always wished I was one of those fragile women that faints when upset. I've only even felt faint a few times in my life, and I've never actually managed to go through with it. Sometimes when I was fasting or something I used to close my eyes and think of floating and try to will myself into falling over, but it didn't work. Once I went running right after giving blood and I hoped the whole time I might faint. But I didn't. I just felt sick and hungry. And tired.

There was a girl at the temple the other day (and she wasn't even pregnant) who swayed delicately and nearly fell over. She looked lovely doing it. I was jealous. I think I'm one of those sturdy German farmwife-types with good birthing hips and "ample arms." I do appreciate it mostly, but sometimes I just wish I was more of a delicate flower. *sigh*

6 comments

  1. I think you and I are in the same boat, although I have fainted once and nearly fainted a few times in the temple. That probably sounds mysterious to anyone who hasn't been to the temple, huh???
    I'm amused by your envy for the easily-faint-ers and strangely, I also agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm much the same way, guys. Sturdy, reliable and more thick than I'd like to be (not that I think of either of you that way, honestly.)
    I've always wished to be really graceful--the kind of woman that people admire her walk--instead of the flat footed duck that I am.
    Anyway, I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fainted once in high school and was mortified!! Fortunately, it hasn't happened since, but that memory of humiliation will always stick with me. I'm definitely not a wispy, delicate flower, and I would never define myself as graceful (the complete opposite!), so I've proven your theory incorrect. :) I'm sturdy AND I've fainted . . . not a good combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time we sing that line "lean on my ample arm," I think of my own arms and wish they were a little less ample and a little more lithe and graceful.

    I've never fainted either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I faint repeatedly--especially in warm weather. (They tell me if I ate more salt my blood pressure would be higher and this wouldn't happen as often.) And I came perilously close to fainting and/or throwing up in the temple while I was pregnant. Let me tell you, it isn't all it's cracked up to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me, too. Always been sturdy. I've been dizzy a couple of times when I was really sick. But there's no drifting maiden to me. I saw a little vision of myself once, late at night and under strange circumstances - I saw my friend as a high strung, fancy race horse - and me as a big, solid, steady dray, moving along without style, but with strength, and with a good connection to the ground. I didn't like that vision much, but it's stood me in good stead all these years. What would a bunch of lovely boys do with a mother who kept fainting around all the time?

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top