A snuggle of bunnies

Today we did something good. There is a bunny farm (a "rabbitry," they call it---but the lady didn't call them rabbits, she called them bunnies, like me) near where we live, so yesterday I called up the lady and asked her if we could come visit the bunnies. She said we could. So today, we did.

It was SO fun. There were probably 200 bunnies there. They were all different kids: huge giant lop-eared ones and fluffy little long-haired ones and tiny furry ones and medium-sized hoppy ones. There were several litters of babies, too: some only born last night (they looked like tiny bald mice) and some born a couple weeks ago. These were the cutest:

They were SO small, but their eyes were open and they were wiggling around and trying out tiny little hops. The white one peeked out and looked at me when I took his picture.
This one was relaxing in her hammock. They love sleeping in hammocks, apparently.
I love the way they just pile themselves indiscriminately on top of each other, like it doesn't really matter where one bunny ends and the next one begins. Mounds of bunnies. So cute.

The boys loved them. But who do you think loved them the most? :)

When we got home, we had a special lunch to celebrate. Can you tell what it is?


Macaroni and cheese, with bunny-shaped noodles. So I guess I should call it "Bunnies and cheese." Yum!
It's hard to choose, because I love the white ones, and the black ones, and the spotted ones, and the grey ones, and the brown ones---but I think this was my favorite bunny. I love the ones that have this kind of short, velvety-soft fur, and he had such a pretty reddish-gold color!

7 comments

  1. Aw, that is SO fun! I can't believe how adorable those babies are. I want to come with you next time.
    And to top it off with a bunny themed meal? Couldn't be better.
    Is a group of bunnies really called a snuggle? It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reluctantly have to admit that it isn't called a "snuggle." (It is called, unimaginatively, a "herd.") But it _should_ be, so I'm hereby calling it that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know there was a rabbitry nearby! Sophie would LOVE to go, I'm sure. Can I get the contact info? And do you want to go with us?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew anyone who liked bunnies more than you. I remember taking a picture of you next to the enormous bunny statue in Bath. Remember how Dr. Britsch used to say it? "Baaath" with a little bit of a gurgle in his voice? Don't you miss him?
    When is somebody going to pay for us to go back over there for another 2 month jaunt? It's been 10 years now and I NOBODY'S even OFFERED!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No doubt--NO doubt--you have read Watership Down, right? I think if you haven't, you really really should. I loved it. Except the bunnies aren't all cute and cuddly. I never cared much about bunnies until I read it. Although I know _you_ have always cared.

    And Beth--I LOVE Dr. Britsch and his little, funny voice and his shortness. I think we should start a return-to-London-fund. AND we have to go to Wagamama's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope I caused no offence--I like bunnies, really. I just don't like them as much as _you_ do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's odd, but I think bunnies are the one animal I could go to visit, love and coo over - run my hands over - and still come away able to NOT take one home. I wonder why that is? I seem to want to adopt predators instead of prey, I guess. But that wouldn't explain the horses, would it?

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top