Effort-less

I remember many happy hours spent making fun of the principal, Mr. Gentry, at my Junior High because he had said something like this: "Here at our school, any effort is a success."

I still think that's kind of a dumb thing to have as your "school slogan" (I mean come on, can't we set our expectations just sliiiightly higher?), but then again, I'm sort of warming up to the idea as a personal aspiration.

Is it hard for anyone else to want to do anything these cold, dreary days? If I'm out of pajama pants by lunchtime, it really seems like quite an accomplishment. Sometimes I look back over my "schedule" and realize I haven't been out of the house---literally not set foot out of the door---for 2 or 3 days at a time. I mean really, what's out there for me? Cold wind? Brown piles of snow in parking lots? (Bunnies, okay,
yesterday there were bunnies and that got me out.) "Winter sales"?? Nope. And here at home I'm not much more motivated. Menu plans? Groceries? Did I really used to involve myself with such things? Anyway, needless to say, I don't get an awful lot accomplished from day to day.

Therefore, anytime I DO make the slightest bit of effort to do, well, anything, I should just tell myself, "Bob Gentry would be so proud." Wouldn't he.

6 comments

  1. Good ol' Bob Gentry. That brings back amusing memories. :)

    I've heard the inversion is miserable up there -- hope the sun comes out and outdoor time will return!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so frickin' awesome!
    Your blog is the highlight of my day.
    I don't leave the house, and I don't really ever want to. But it kind of worries me because I USED to want to get out of the house all the time, and now it seems to much of a bother.
    I owe you an email, don't I...I'll get to it.
    What should I get excited about? I need something.
    Anyway, good post. I KNOW for a fact that Bob Gentry is proud of you. I work for Provo School District, and he now works as the District Personnel Director, and he was just telling me the other day that, well honestly, he's proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you have the pleasure of being the student of the day over there at Dixon? Because I did. And I will never forget Bob Gentry getting right in my face with a poloroid camera and snapping what may well be the worst photograph of my life that was then placed in a glass case outside the office for the entire month.

    And now to know that in his eyes I am successful...well it just gives me warm fuzzies (or fwuff balls)

    I'm so glad to read that you feel like you don't accomplish too much, because I know that's not true. You come up with the craziest coolest ideas and think the best thoughts and raise the best children. It just makes me hope that when I'm sitting home for 4 days in a row without so much as opening the front door maybe I could someday be as cool as you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Bob. And if you remember what that means, I'm expecting sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, at least Mr Gentry is now buildin' you up. I'm sure he'd be glad to know he's making you feel good about yourself even if you feel like you shouldn't!!
    Winter is the worst for me. I don't feel like doing anything when I'm cold, and the last few houses we've lived in have been FREEZING in the winter. Sometimes I don't leave the house for a couple of days at a time, and I hardly want to wear real clothes rather than sweats. And Max watches a lot of movies.
    But oh well. Now I feel better about myself too.
    Thanks Mr. Gentry!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think sometimes it's best that you don't leave the house and going running wildly around, young lady. Sometimes it doesn't work out that well . . .

    But that was after Mr. Gentry's time.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top