A moral tale

Last year when I went to the store to get new shoes I ran into a dilemma. There were several pairs that were cute but not too comfortable and a few pairs that were comfortable but not very cute. (The age-old problem, eh?)

I walked around in all the different shoes. There was one pair that was my favorite. They were not TOO uncomfortable. But a little. "These look nice . . . hmmm . . . but will I enjoy wearing them?" I said to myself. Then---sensibly---"Not much use in having new shoes if you never want to wear them because they're too uncomfortable."

There was also one pair in particular that felt better than the others. They were sensible-looking. Not UGLY . . . but . . . a bit matronly, perhaps. "Quite appropriate for someone with three children," I told myself. "And a woman your age shouldn't be attempting to follow every trend anyway."

Practicality won out. I got them.

I have worn them, dutifully, for several months now.

They aren't even that comfortable.

When I got some birthday money from my mother-in-law, I returned to the shoe store. My favorites were still there! (Now on clearance!) There was one pair in my size. I bought them immediately.

I love them. They are adorable. They don't hurt my feet. (Much.) I feel cute in them.

The end.

MORAL: Just get the cute ones!

These are also the cute ones, not the old ones (don't want you to embarrass yourself by saying, "Ooh, those ARE bad!)

9 comments

  1. Ahhh . . . I miss those days when I used to feel cute. I need to get shopping! :) Love the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just glad this wasn't like that horrible tale from Maupassant where the woman works her whole life to replace a pearl necklace she later learns out was a fake.

    I'm glad frippery won out in the end here. I hate that other story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, do you read theapronstage.com? For some reason, I think you might like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely say buy the cute ones. Especially for dress shoes. No dress shoe is truly THAT comfortable anyway. And who's going to wear one that they hate? My favorite part about shoes is that they fit you no matter what size the rest of you is, and that's why I have a lot of cute ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute shoes. As my grandmother-in-law always said, "It is better to look good than to feel good, you know what I'm saying?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had so many internal shoe wars, and usually the practical side won. I just can't stand (on :)) achy feet! I thought it was so interesting that Smith pinned perfectly what I thought was a female thing with Ma Makutsi's shoe fetish. And, I've always loved how taken she was with the _linings_.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allison, yes! I loved that about Ma Makutsi. I also loved how her shoes called her "Boss."

    And Melissa, thanks for the good tip! I hadn't seen it before, but it looks like a fun blog. I've always liked Louise Plummer (didn't have her as a teacher, but I know her son and I've read lots of things she's written).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a firm believer in beauty pain, as long as it's not _too_ painful . . . and I like the shoes. Besides, I'll bet the other ones pinched something monstrous, and I don't much care for the buckole.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I end up buying lots of Lands' End and LL Bean shoes because they come in so many different colors, I can't buy just one. How dumb is that? And really, the Lands' End ones are about 1/4 size off so they're either a little short or a little too long. If I were going to make a moral out of my own shoe-life, I'd say, buy Ecco shoes - mortgage the house and just do it, because they feel great and they look really really cute, and you can wear them for the next twenty years. But then, how could you justify buying all the other cute not so comfy ones????

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top